Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing Mega-Corporations

Quote Originally Posted by nhunter344 View Post
    The main difference I see is the pride behind the product then vs. now. I don't want this to be an all-encompassing statement, but that pride is gone, replaced by profit margin. There a few shining examples of companies that stand behind their products, but for the most part, you're in the wrong. "I'm sorry the reel you bought two months ago seized up sir, but unfortunately, that's not covered by our warranty. Our policy only covers normal use, and that fact that it broke means you weren't using it normally. We can sell you a brand new one for 25% off MSRP though!"
    If anything the worst culprits are similar to the Klein tools mentioned. They take an old US company name that had a decent reputation and hype and market the quality and pride angle to charge top dollar while supplying cheap Chinese junk. You will see flags, working men and pickup trucks on the label or ad for those Chinese or low end US produced goods.

I here you but the irony again is that none of my mass produced reels or rods seldom have ever locked up or broke after two months. They don't seem to be worrying about pride they just want to sell them and make a buck. If they add in pride and it costs me extra I might well pass. I don't really care if the company has pride or if they are a bunch of greedy sumbitches if they can get a product to market that meets or exceeds my expectations. I take a bit of pride in finding a product that performs and does it's job at a great price. It's easy get way to many emotions wrapped up in products, it's almost a pastime with some and they try to grab some moral virtue from it. The marketing men are well aware of it and play into it. I try to keep pride and other emotions out of purchasing decisions it just complicates matters.

We got to get fishing we are sounding like a bunch of nostalgic, bitter, long winded, way to serious or just cantankerous old men. Think this cold spell needs to break, I'm going crazy. I'm off to think on catfish and shut up for a while.

Ainít going to be any catfish this weekend. My creek is frozen and Iíve never seen the tide so low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Quote Originally Posted by silasvirus82 View Post

Ainít going to be any catfish this weekend. My creek is frozen and Iíve never seen the tide so low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful and bleak at the same time.