Thread: Reel Maintenance

Default Reel Maintenance

As the winter doldrums set in, particularly this absolutely frigid week, the reel maintenance has commenced. I have flipped a bunch of lines and have started cleaning up a few of the reels. Unfortunately, I'm great at taking reels apart, but horrible at putting them back to together. I can't tell you how many reels I took apart that have ended up in "The Box of Shame". Thankfully, now there is a maintenance video for almost every reel out there.
    Here is a few I found useful. If anyone wants to add to the list. (I have to split up the Videos, only one per page, so I will add some useful ABU and Stradic maintenance videos on the next two threads.)

BTW, i just ran out of my Rocket Fuel Yellow oil that I have used for years, but am willing to try something new, if someone has a suggestion. I primarily use Corrosion X grease for almost everything, but the drags, which I use Cal's grease.

If you taken the Daiwa BG plunge like I have, this video is invaluable for maintaining them:
    Last edited by summersoff; 01-01-2018 at 05:28 AM.
    13' Sand Revo
    16' Yellow Tarpon
    10' Red Ocean Tandem
    Old Red Cherokee

ABU Maintenance Video

I still hang on to my ABU's, and next to a Penn Z, there is nothing easier to maintain, but here is a good one to get you started
    13' Sand Revo
    16' Yellow Tarpon
    10' Red Ocean Tandem
    Old Red Cherokee

Old Stradic Video

Despite all the positive reviews on the new Stradics, I haven't had a reason to trade in my old ones, still spin like butter. Here's my favorite "Old Stradic" maintenance vid.
    13' Sand Revo
    16' Yellow Tarpon
    10' Red Ocean Tandem
    Old Red Cherokee

Thanks for posting these videos. Found out I was greasing parts that shouldn’t be. Good winter project now that the waters are all frozen! BTY- I found the lube and grease mentioned in the Shimano video at West Marine. The video was excellent for tearing down the reels.
    Last edited by J. Rentch; 01-05-2018 at 07:47 AM.
    John
    Annapolis
    Native Slayer Propel 10, Native Ultimate 12

Very Handy! Thanks for posting.
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T

Man do I hate working on Stradics. Approximately 10000 additional plastic pieces vs a Penn. Great smooth reels though, just not my favorite for kayak durability.

I use the AlanTani.com site quite a bit for reel repair guidance and they recommend the TSI 321 reel oil. I purchased some this past season and it's been working out fine. I honestly can't tell a difference between this vs yellow rocket vs CorrosionX but I'm not usually focused on casting distance. My main goal for oil/grease is saltwater corrosion prevention since long casts really aren't all that necessary in a kayak.
    Guy who used to fish more.