Technical Fisherman website closing Dec 31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technical Fisherman website closing Dec 31

About 5 years ago, several local anglers started a new fishing chat board (Technical Fisherman) that was intended to be alternative to Tidalfish and would avoid some of the backstabbing and nastiness that had become common there. During several years, Technical Fisherman sponsored a Summer Slam tournament for several species of fish. I posted there from time to time, but the site did not get a large amount of traffic or comments to posts.

Then a few months ago, the site started getting attacked by all sorts of spam. The moderators were either unable to block the spam or did not make the effort to keep the site open. Yesterday I visited the Technical Fisherman site and saw that the founder had decided to close the site as of Dec 31.

Unlike nearly all other online fishing chat boards I have seen, Snaggedline has been able to avoid most of the negative behavior that seems to affect other sites. Users have been generous in sharing information, helping newbies, and generally getting along. We encourage camaraderie through the monthly meet-and-greets. I met several close friends and regular fishing buddies through Snaggedline, and have many other made good fishing acquaintances too. Occasionally a discussion gets heated or off track, but fortunately, things seemed to become cordial again pretty quickly. I hope that as we begin a new year, we can keep the same friendly behavior and willingness to share information.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I really hope snaggedline is here to stay. I recruited a new member this year, and he's already a very good kayak fisherman. I did feel like I noticed less fishing reports this past fall than the fall of 2016, but I was in FL for most of that time, and wasn't checking the site as often as usual, so that may have been to blame. I also think that people are beginning to realize that many non-members simply cruise this site for fishing reports (like they do on tidalfish I'm sure), so maybe they're more hesitant to share reports. Even right now, I see that there are 8-10 people on the site that are members, and another 40 guests. I hope that most of the guests are simply dipping their toe in, before joining, since it really is an amazing site.

Comment

It's a yearly Christmas tradition for my wife's family to break the oplatek (Polish Christmas Wafer) and forgive each other for crimes of the past, and wish each other goodwill in the year to come. While the cracker tastes like shit, the sentiment is sweet and makes it worth it. I wish us all good fishing next year, and more importantly good health so we can do what we all love.
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I agree with John, the knowledge base of people who share on this website, and the commraderie (especially at the Meet & Greets) makes this a very welcoming forum for anglers new and old.
        Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

That's unfortunate about Tech Fish, seems like the owner had great intentions. On the other hand, this website is single-handedly responsible for the fishing addiction level I've reached... Thanks to the OGs and welcome to the Newbies.
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Snagline and its contributors have helped me shop, help me stay safe on the water and stimulated my interests in all manner of pedal and paddle. And then there's the fishing!! Just do a search on any subject or technique and I'm always amazed what I can find out from snaglineers. All in a very respectful and helpful Fashion. Cheers cheers to many more years!
            Harlan

Revo 13
            Trident 13
            Cuda 14
            Necky Tandem

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              About 5 years ago, several local anglers started a new fishing chat board (Technical Fisherman) that was intended to be alternative to Tidalfish and would avoid some of the backstabbing and nastiness that had become common there. During several years, Technical Fisherman sponsored a Summer Slam tournament for several species of fish. I posted there from time to time, but the site did not get a large amount of traffic or comments to posts.

Then a few months ago, the site started getting attacked by all sorts of spam. The moderators were either unable to block the spam or did not make the effort to keep the site open. Yesterday I visited the Technical Fisherman site and saw that the founder had decided to close the site as of Dec 31.

Unlike nearly all other online fishing chat boards I have seen, Snaggedline has been able to avoid most of the negative behavior that seems to affect other sites. Users have been generous in sharing information, helping newbies, and generally getting along. We encourage camaraderie through the monthly meet-and-greets. I met several close friends and regular fishing buddies through Snaggedline, and have many other made good fishing acquaintances too. Occasionally a discussion gets heated or off track, but fortunately, things seemed to become cordial again pretty quickly. I hope that as we begin a new year, we can keep the same friendly behavior and willingness to share information.

Well said John, I've been around since the beginning, much like yourself. My original account I was the 20th member or something along those lines. I also met a number of buddies through Snaggedline, including Shane, who was my best man in my wedding.

We owe a big thanks to Dail and Mike for creating this great space and for keeping up with all the upkeep to allow it to be the great informational site we have known it as over the last 7 years. Cheers to them!!
              Matt (Formerly CB Kayak 02 "Over 3,000 Posts")
              CCA Annapolis Chapter President

Hobie Outback 2015

Comment

I agree what everyone has said about how Snaggedline helped them in their kayak fishing hobby, and the relationships that they developed with other kayakers directly as a result of Snaggedline. I too was an early member around #54. When I wanted to meet more kayakers I went to the Meet and Greets both official and unofficial and they were a blast. I too have met many fishing buddies, acquaintances, and friends from this forum. I have become a better kayaker and angler thanks to those who I have met on Snaggedline who shared their knowledge, locations and fishing techniques. For me, I have not posted as must as I do in the past due to events on ones life, such as illness, job, family and just plain bsuy. I still do enjoy reading all of the posts and seeing all the pictures (and videos) of all of our fellow Snaggedliners. Keep on fishing and supporting Snaggedline.
                MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                2016 Hobie Outback LE
                Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
                X