Winterize electronics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winterize electronics?

At the start of the season this year, I was unpleasantly surprised that my trusty Lowrance was dead. Is there anything special you guys are doing to electronics over the winter? (Btw, Jersey surf is still producing).
    Thanks
    Last edited by summersoff; 12-28-2017, 08:50 AM.
    Jay

10' Green Slayer
    13’ Red Slayer

In the winter, I keep my battery inside to minimize the damage extreme cold does to it. Ill also keep my head unit inside after each use in the spring/summer/small, and especially throughout the winter. My detached garage gets very cold in the winter because we don't heat it. I do not know the impact of sub zero temps on electronics, but I cant imagine it's good.

I don't know if you are doing this or not, but after I fish the ocean (or anywhere really), I'll wipe the head unit down with a damp paper towel and apply electronic grease to the connections to keep corrosion away. IMO, most manufactures designed fish finders to be used on boats, which provide a more-permanent, dryer location, without the need to frequently connect and disconnect the unit. A kayak is also a wetter ride, which takes it toll. There is no doubt the winter time is harsh on units, but the collective abuse they receive on a kayak is what I feel eventually does them in.

Hobie Fishing Team Member
    Survival Products, Salisbury, MD

2017 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

One thing you need to do is but Dielectric grease on All connections if it looks a little corroded cut it back and redo it. Its noncunducktive it keeps water out. you can get it at any auto store.
      Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
      Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

Cold is tough on batteries, but fully charged batteries do much better than discharged...I store my kayak in my equipment building (pole barn) sitting upright on carpet covered 4X4 landscaping timbers 27 inches off the floor...all the electronics stay hooked up...(I put dielectric grease on the electrical contacts when I installed the Hummingbird 798 ci DSI SI unit) and I keep a fully charged battery in the Hobie battery holder...I have two identical batteries I swap out after every fishing trip...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Same here - Head Unit & Both Batteries are stored indoors year-round unless i'm taking the yak out the next morning. Like Ron, I always have one battery on the charger for a quick swap out for any late-notice or last-minute trips.
          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Thanks fellas. I added the dielectric and starting to charge them up. Hopefully no surprises come Spring.
            Jay

10' Green Slayer
            13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Working...
            X