Coastal Bay Perching - Round 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coastal Bay Perching - Round 2

I went back out for a quick afternoon trip to try for some perch again. I only had about 2 hours to fish, and the wind was really cranking, so I decided to battle the wind head on and go straight to the sheltered, little honey hole I found on my last trip. The fish were snapping right away for about a 30 minute window before completely turning off. It may have been the tide slacking that shut off the bite?

I ended up with about a dozen at 10" - 11", 1 at 12", 1 at 13.25", 2 at 13.5", and 2 at 14"; the biggest white perch I've ever caught! I also lost 4 before I saw them that felt like studs - makes me wonder what they could have been...

I ended up stopping by a seafood market on the way home to weight the two largest ones since I knew they were close to the state record perch for the coastal division. The heaviest one just missed; only 0.06 off the record at 1.59 pounds. Better luck next time I guess

IMG_0173.jpg
    Brian

wow!

Comment

That was a very successful day. Congratulations.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Very nice. How deep were these tasty morsels hiding?
        MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
        2016 Hobie Outback LE
        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Incredible.

Will you submit photos for MD citations or is that old hat to you by now?

Congratulations.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks all. It was really all just blind luck stumbling upon a gold mine.

Originally posted by moc View Post
            Very nice. How deep were these tasty morsels hiding?
            Not that deep, but its more a matter of circumstance. They are in the deepest part of the creek I've found so far at 8 - 10' with the creek averaging 3 - 4'. I tried drifting with the wind and casting in the shallows without success, but the wind was making it tough and I wasn't fishing it very effectively.

Originally posted by Mark View Post

Will you submit photos for MD citations or is that old hat to you by now?
            You know, I've never actually submitted for any citations ever. It just never crosses my mind at the time. The above picture is the only one I have with a tape measure and I doubt it would qualify. The fish are already filleted, collared, and roe saved for Christmas Eve dinner too; so bad on me for that.
            Brian

Comment

Do you have a good recipe for the perch roe?
              MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
              2016 Hobie Outback LE
              Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
              https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Very nice catch. Gotta give extra style points for doing it in the wind from a kayak.
                Native Titan Propel 12
                Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
                Mercury 6hp
                Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI
                Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Incredible perch! So close to a state record, which would be awesome. I hope they calibrate their scale daily, or otherwise you may have actually had the record.

Comment

2-14 inch, Wow!

Comment

Thats one hell of a quick Perchin trip!
                      Ryan
                      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice job Brian!

Comment

Originally posted by moc View Post
                          Do you have a good recipe for the perch roe?
                          Not really. I usually just hit them with a dash of salt, pepper, and dried parsley and give them a quick drop in the cast iron skillet. Just butterfly them lengthwise before you cook them so they don't pop all over your kitchen.

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                          Incredible perch! So close to a state record, which would be awesome. I hope they calibrate their scale daily, or otherwise you may have actually had the record.
                          Possibly. I'll just have to catch one that is no doubt next time
                          Brian

Comment

Bob, I’m in OC and that creek doesn’t look familiar.
                            Without posting the name of your honey hole, can you give me a clue on the vincinity????
                            I’m always looking for some winter fishing! Thanks Al
                            " Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!". Capt. Quint 1976
                            Ocean Kayak Trident 13

Comment

Originally posted by al8189 View Post
                              Without posting the name of your honey hole, can you give me a clue on the vincinity????
                              Al, there are multiple creeks that come off of Assawoman Bay, Isle of Wight Bay, Sinepuxent Bay, etc. between the DE and VA lines that have either public launches or spots where you can put in off the side of the road. I'm thankful you understand that I don't want to burn the spot. I hope it inspires you to do a little exploring this winter in areas you've never tried before; I know it sure has for me and that is half the fun of it.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X