Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downs Park and Homeport Farm Park Good News For 2018

Default Downs Park and Homeport Farm Park Good News For 2018

Hello all,

I come bearing good news of improved launchsites in Anne Arundel County in 2018.

The launch from Downs Park onto Locust Cove and the Bodkin was a steep messy muddy spot to put in. It now has a gentle slope to a lovely sand beach framed by two short stone jetties. The county dredged a bit of Locust Cove to make the site more accessible. The access path will be paved all the way to the beach. The project isn't quite complete - the access path and landscaping work aren't done - but it will be finished before Spring 2018.

The entrance road to Homeport Farm Park is being paved and a ~30 spot parking lot is in progress. The launch path is a combination of blacktop and compacted gravel all the way to the new sandy launch beach, again framed by two short stone jetties. Although this is a bigger project it will be done before Spring 2018.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Lisa

Lisa,

Thank you very much. This is excellent news indeed for both sites.

Last June I launched from Downs into Locust Cove and sunk up to my knees in mud upon my return as the tide had gone out during my paddle. Here's a photo of the launch as it was then:

P1020820.jpg

From there the water leads through a residential area to the main portion of the Bodkin itself. Here's a short picture essay of the path to the Bodkin:

P1020822.jpg P1020824.jpg P1020827.jpg

Soon, you are in the open Bodkin Creek and within striking distance of the Patapsco River which lies straight ahead as seen here:

P1020828.jpg

I caught white perch in many cuts and inlets and under piers along the way that day. And I ran into group of touring kayakers upon my return to the launch:

P1020844.jpg

The mud discouraged me from launching there again but I thought of the area often especially during the fall when the stripers no doubt occupy the waters a short paddle from the launch. In 2018 we'll have good access.

This is a wonderful Christmas gift for me in particular because it is only a few miles from my house. I think the site will prove to be a popular one for anglers seeking white perch and stripers in season and for recreational kayakers throughout the year.

The improvements to Homeport Farm are also welcome. My kayak angling friends and I have had good days there too. It's a scenic area and again, a good site for perch and stripers:

P1020168.jpg P1020173.jpg P1020174.jpg

Thanks to you and those on the county's water access committee for listening to our requests.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark; 12-23-2017 at 03:23 PM.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Wow, what a Christmas present for AACo kayakers. Looking forward to trying out both!

Thanks so much Lisa!
    John
    Annapolis
    Native Slayer Propel 10, Native Ultimate 12

Great news, thanks for the update

IMG_20171129_122114876.jpg

Here's the new beach from Downs Park onto Locust Cove and the Bodkin. It's a shocking change from Mark's photo essay of his muddy expedition.

Lisa

Fantastic!!!

Thank you Lisa, AA County and the Water Access Committee.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Awesome!

Excellent!!
    Bruce

Wilderness System, Thresher 155

AWESOME!

Great news for us local AA Co'ers!
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

Nice! I discovered Homeport Farm late last summer, and really enjoyed it. The last time I was there I was caught off guard that it was closed for work. I'm glad it will be done early this coming season and will have such a good upgrade.