Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How are you storing your tackle?

Man, I have a hell of a time trying to keep the Zman finesse plastics on a jighead. Even using superglue "only" works for a dozen or so bass. I only really use Zman's plastics for Midwest Finesse style fishing and the tiny jigheads are really tough to get seated.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

Same here with the Zman..don’t buy them anymore...strictly Bass Assassins...no problems at all...and fish love them..
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Quote Originally Posted by bunnielab View Post
    Man, I have a hell of a time trying to keep the Zman finesse plastics on a jighead. Even using superglue "only" works for a dozen or so bass. I only really use Zman's plastics for Midwest Finesse style fishing and the tiny jigheads are really tough to get seated.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaultmtd View Post
    Same here with the Zman..donít buy them anymore...strictly Bass Assassins...no problems at all...and fish love them..

Try the tips on these videos. They help out quite a bit.
    https://youtu.be/8KVHRTEI_co
    https://youtu.be/_jcd9qu7-1E
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T

Interesting, I have done something similar to the first video, but with the hoop point heated for a second with a lighter. It does work well with screwlocks. I mostly use the TRDs or Zlinkers on tiny 1/16oz jigheads for the Ned Rig. I believe both of those plastics have a different formula then the minnow lure, they have a ton of salt in them and become quite spongy when the salt washes out, which is when they start sliding down the keeper. The Owner Skip-gap shakyhead jigs hold Zman plastics very well, but they are incredibly expensive.

My current tackle storage dilemma is single hooked hard baits. I have started removing trebles from my small hard baits, but the single hooks are posing a storage/transport issue. The trebles can be covered with little plastic caps, but I have not found a product like that for single hooks. In trying to minimize the tackle I haul around, I like to just grab a crank or two and toss it loose into the front compartment of my tackle sling, but the single hooks get snagged all the time. I have tired using small chunks of cork to cover the points, but they don't stay on small hooks very well. I know others here switch trebles to single, do any of you have a good way to store them outside of a plano or other box?
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

My current tackle storage dilemma is single hooked hard baits. I have started removing trebles from my small hard baits, but the single hooks are posing a storage/transport issue. The trebles can be covered with little plastic caps, but I have not found a product like that for single hooks. In trying to minimize the tackle I haul around, I like to just grab a crank or two and toss it loose into the front compartment of my tackle sling, but the single hooks get snagged all the time. I have tired using small chunks of cork to cover the points, but they don't stay on small hooks very well. I know others here switch trebles to single, do any of you have a good way to store them outside of a plano or other box?
    My brother likes to submit tips to fishing magazines and has had several of them published. One that is relevant to your dilemma involves taking the plastic bottles used for prescription medications and sliding small hard plastic lures inside. This is unlikely to work on larger crankbaits and poppers, but if you are using smaller lures, it may work. You could make your own lure sleeves with something like the club tubes inserted in golf bags or some other sort
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Drew,

This is what John was referring to. After a quick Google search, this popped up.

This place is in Ohio and seems to carry both 3.5" and 7" sizes of (trolling lure) storage tubes, but it should work for what you are looking for.

https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/...index&cPath=19
    -manny

Hobie Outback
    Wilderness Systems 130T

I've used short pieces of silicone aquarium air tubing (silicone is softer than the normal stuff). A 1/2" or 1" piece covers the point fairly well. I try to get it to bend around the curved part of the hook to get it to stay better. They tend to get lost frequently but its cheap enough that I don't care. It comes by the foot so you can cut each piece to size.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna

Thanks for the ideas guys! The tube/pill bottle and small tubing are both great ideas. I keep alot of my UL hardbaits in a little duplex tupperware container and the hooks are forever getting into a huge mess and I think the tubing will solve that issue nicely. I am starting to dip my toe into suspending jerkbaits and they are too expensive to let bang around with other lures, so the tubes should be great for them.

I am a pretty avid hiker and often bring a rod along. I try to go very minimalist and often carry a few plastics w/ terminal tackle. In looking for ways to carry and protect them in my pack I have bought a few small plastic pencil containers that work well for carrying a few plastics, hooks, etc. They have an awful latch, but a hair tie doubled over keeps them tight.

I got them from amazon;
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The price jumps around, I have seen them as low as $5.99 for three of them. Other then the latch, they are well built and the hinge seems like it will last a long time.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10

The individual tubes and containers in Manny's and Drew's posts are really nice. They organize lures without tangles and make finding the precise lure you want a snap. The only caution I would add about them is to vent them, especially if in turn you put them in larger waterproof boxes. Or, make sure you never return a wet lure to long-term storage -- even if you fish fresh water. Otherwise it will rust. It may also promote rust among other lures in the box.

I lifted an idea from someone on this site. I'm sorry that I cannot remember who it was. But it was a good idea. They advised carrying foam on your kayak to store wet lures.

I repurposed one of my fly vest patches as seen in this photo:

Foam.jpg

It hangs on the inside of my Ultimate or I hang it on my BlackPak on my Revo. All lures or flies I use during an outing go on the patch to dry. When I rinse my boats with the hose after outings, the lures get rinsed too. Then I allow them to dry before returning them to my Plano waterproof boxes.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Moisture is an issue. I use the z-rust chips and they do seem to help with rust. For getting the moisture out, I read somewhere that chemical hand warmers, even when spent, will suck a ton of moisture out of the air. Some very informal testing seems to bear this out, or atleast when placed in a plano box with but not touching wet lures, the spent warmer will gain a little weight and harden over time. I do not have the science background to really look much further into it, but I suppose it is possible that the chemical inside it could very well be hygroscopic.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10