Die Hards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Die Hards

As I was coming out of the building, at the close of work, I noticed a parked truck with a fishing kayak on top, all partially glazed in snow. Someone waved an said hello. It was Zack Ditmars, all bundled up. I said, I was wondering who would be out kayak fishing on a day like this. He said yes, I was pickerel fishing. I asked did you catch any. In typical fisherman fashion, with a tad bit of frustration, a smile and a head shake, he said "no." Pickerel fishing can be difficult we discussed. I then noticed, under Zack's arm was a paper sack. Luckily, next to where I work is an adult beverage store, respite for many a wary kayak fisherman. Of course knowing Zack, I knew it was just so he could go home, relax and contemplate the next pickerel fishing trip.

So, I raise a glass to all of those intrepid fisherman who go fishing on days such as these. It brings back memories of my younger days when trout fishing and other trips, when I would be out fishing in the snow. It is a solitary meditative type of fishing and good for the soul.

Good luck.

Yep...I pass on the frozen wet stuff, but headed out first thing in the morning to see if the Rockfish are still up in the rivers...going to fish the Pax upstream around Long point dragging a coach 347 jig with a big Zman swimbait and an XRap XR14 bunker color...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Hope Zack wasn’t on the Severn, Pickerel have been very scarce for the last year.
      John Rentch
      Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
      Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
        It is a solitary meditative type of fishing and good for the soul.
        There tends to be a peaceful quietness when your out on a gray, snowy day that is quite enjoyable.
        Brian

Comment

Couldn't agree more....

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
          There tends to be a peaceful quietness when your out on a gray, snowy day that is quite enjoyable.
          Bruce

Hobie PA 14
          Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

I was thinking of doing it... Zach did it... Good for him!, I'm sure it was worth it even sans fish, it usually is...
            WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

I'm all in on the peaceful calm being worth it, even sans fish. Spent Saturday morning out paddling with some Snaggedline guys and even though the wind picked up earlier than I planned there was definitely something to be said for being bundled up with lines in the water while the snow comes down. Marked a lot of fish, but they weren't having it. Next time!
              Matt
              Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
              2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
              10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Early winter this year...looks like a cold hard one...time to switch to soaking catfish baits and chasing pickerel in the creeks...
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Checking for reports I came across this post and took me a minute to realize i was being referenced here haha. Fish or no fish, a day on the water is better than any other. I did manage to find a 19" pickerel the following day (12/10/17), which is only the fourth and largest one this year. Was happy to remove the shad dart lip ring this fish was wearing and set it free to be caught and released another day. Contemplating going out this afternoon but waiting to see if it will rain or not. Cold is one thing, but cold + wet is no bueno. The snowy pic is from 12/9, and pickerel 12/10.

IMG_4441.jpgIMG_7043 2.jpg
                  Zach
                  Annapolis, MD
                  Rudow's FishTalk Magazine
                  Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5
                  Native Watercraft Slayer Propel 13
                  Old Town Topwater PDL 106
                  Native Watercraft Redfish 10

Comment

Good work on the shad dart extraction!
                    Mark
                    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I ventured out into two Severn tidal creeks Friday morning to see if any pickerel had shown up. In over two hours of casting live minnows to shorelines that have produced well in the past, I had zero bites. The weather was not harsh enough for me to consider myself a diehard.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Working...
                      X