Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coastal Bay Perching

Default Coastal Bay Perching

I was able to sneak out for a few hours this afternoon to give perch fishing a try in one of the coastal bay creeks near OC. I haven't been perch fishing since about this time last and it was a nice change of pace. Plus, the family was looking for a fish dinner The tide was really low when I launched and a few of the spots I did well in this time last year were too shallow to hold fish so I had to do a little searching to find some deeper water.

Once I found the honey hole - it was on! Shad dart teaser in front of a tiny spoon was getting hit every cast. I found it interesting that despite getting a fish on every cast for a little while, I never got a double though. Fish averaged about 10" with many 11" - 12.5" and one jumbo at 13.25". Kept a dozen and a half and released about twice as many.

A fun afternoon out in the snow!

P1080091.jpgP1080089.jpgP1080093.jpg

Nicely done, thanks for posting. Beautiful big perch.
    ---------------------------------------
    2015 Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
    12' Perception Pescador
    10' Perception Pescador

yum...great tasting fish..and a 13.25 is a really nice perch anytime of the year...congratulations...and on a snowy day to boot...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

When I saw the title of your thread I thought maybe it would be a post about yellow perch.

And then I remembered that one of the few white perch near 12 inches I caught this year (but certainly not citation-worthy like your 13+ incher) was on the Magothy in February when skim ice was covering portions of the water.

Congratulations to you on a productive day in less than ideal weather conditions.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Boy, you must have found some protected water, down at Point Lookout the wind was howling most of the day with whitecaps breaking on both sides. Nice perch haul.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Thanks. I was up in some creeks, so the wind wasn't too much of a factor.

Mark, I don't think there are many yellow perch in the creeks off the coastal bays? At least not in any numbers like the Chesapeake creeks and rivers have anyways. I'd have to head over to Salisbury or Snow Hill if I wanted to find yellow perch.

I never knew WP are catch-able this time of the year. Dang!

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I just remembered. Many years ago, I caught WP in 55-65' (If I remember depth correctly) of water at the rock pile under Bay Bridge, MD in the mid December.
    I used 1 OZ sinker and 15# test braided to hit the bottom when the current was mild. I thought 2 OZ sinker would be be better that time.

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I've read that winter patterns of tidal white perch are not known with absolute certainty. MD DNR officials know they retreat to deeper water as proven by Joe's post on this thread. But the precise locations where they congregate are unclear.

It is believed that they return to the rivers in which they spawned to reproduce and they stay there through the summer and fall. So those fish caught at the Bay Bridge could have originated in any of the nearby rivers.

Anyway, I think it’s interesting that a fish so common in this region still hold behavioral secrets from us.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Nice haul !
    John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
    Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
    2015 Hobie Outback