Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ft Armistead 12/3/17: A new PB for John, and my first fish while jigging!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ft Armistead 12/3/17: A new PB for John, and my first fish while jigging!

So fishing was not on fire yesterday morning, but despite the cold rain, John (silasvirus) and I managed to each find a few fish. His were practically clones of one another, each one was almost exactly 27" (great fish!) and the final 27.5" was a new PB for him (congrats bud!) I think we each got a couple fish trolling, and at least one jigging. It was my first fish caught while jigging, and it was a nice 21" keeper, which was an incredible feeling. I guess I put so much stress into trying to learn a new technique, that I sort of took the fun out of learning it, lesson learned. I think I will be just fine going forward, the bg and the ugly stik elite proved to be a combo more than sensitive enough to jig a 1oz bait in 40 ft of water. Another thought, I like the tactical anglers speed clips but only if they're being used for jigheads, they suck when switching plugs like rapalas (I can tie a loop knot much faster). The weather was really clearing up when we decided to head in, of course, and we seemed to mark a ton of fish as opposed to only a few scattered patches in the early morning. Overall it was an excellent day, all things considered, since John got a new PB, I got a fish jigging, and we each got some fish trolling (his were on deep diving rapalas and mine on the usual zman). I don't think I caught a single rockfish last december, so this december is already shaping up nicely. My fish were 19, 20, and 21" btw. Mike O and Woodyak also joined us, but left before John and I did. As we were packing up, I think I saw another 5 or 6 kayakers pull up and launch, all on hobies I think, so that may have been some of you that I didn't recognize.

Sounds like October more than December in the Patapsco.

You guys did great.

Congratulations.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Excellent morning! I felt like I had bad mojo all morning forgetting my rod holders AND fish finder. Oh well it was good to fish a bit with you guys and check out the area for the first time.
      WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

I’ve been fishing around Smallwood for the past three outings and almost skunked every time. That area has not been what it was last year or the year before. Anyway, it was nice to finally have some pullage, and PB pullage at that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        2015 Hobie Outback
        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

we got there around 11 with two PA14's and 1 was on a trailer. We saw your two good looking fish but unfortunately three of us came in around 3pm skunked, so you guys may not of marked much but you defiantly got the bite in the AM
          If you ain't first your last
          PA14 Dune, Raymarine, Carramrod, Turbo Fins, Large Rutter, Yakattack Flag/light, Hobie Cart

Comment

Originally posted by Clayzoo View Post
            we got there around 11 with two PA14's and 1 was on a trailer. We saw your two good looking fish but unfortunately three of us came in around 3pm skunked, so you guys may not of marked much but you defiantly got the bite in the AM
            That's a bummer. Were there any other boats working the area?
            2015 Hobie Outback
            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
              That's a bummer. Were there any other boats working the area?
              a few but non really stayed for more than a pass and we didn't see any snagging anything themselfs
              If you ain't first your last
              PA14 Dune, Raymarine, Carramrod, Turbo Fins, Large Rutter, Yakattack Flag/light, Hobie Cart

Comment

Yeah that area can be very daunting, I was just glad to finally catch fish there. I think it'll be a good winter/spring spot, but as far as the usual summer/fall keeper stripers, I think I will stick to the severn. But we shall see

Comment

Working...
                X