Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof/dry pants?

Quote Originally Posted by gshappell View Post
    So I have re-ignited my interest in kayaking and have been out about 6 times in the last month or so thanks to a lighter kayak that is easier for me to transport in my jeep. I have never really fished in the cold before these last couple weeks (and not that cold yet but not summer either). Today I went out and my legs were drenched. I picked up some type of outdoor pants from Costco/Sams that are insulated and seem to be a bit water resistant. So with those and a insulate/heat later i have actually been ok in terms of wet/cold. Just curious though what the experienced winter kayak fishermen use to remain dry/comfortable on the water.

Thx!
    To be honest. I feel like a full blown wet gear is overkill for most types of fishing and water we do fish in cold conditions locally. I know people layer up and wear thinner breathable waders but this makes you really stiff and thick making it a pain to drive in or dress and undress when getting in and out of the water. if you are not wanting to buy a full dry suit to stay dray and keep water out you can get the cabelas neoprene wader pants. I think $40 and I believe its 3 mm. No matter what you wear though ALWAYS WEAR THE WADING BELT. If you flip and dont have it on your waders will weigh you down and not re enter your yak.

Another key point is dont over insulate. Dress to match conditions and make it easy to strip layers if you have to cause conditions change depending on height of the sun. Once you start sweating it actually causes u to get colder not warmer. So underneath the wader i am usually wearing a base layer and sweats. Maybe a pair of shorts on really cold days. I wear thick socks only on really cold days. Usually a light hiker sock is sufficient for me. On top a base layer and a long sleeve shirt and a winter waterproof windproof jacket is what i wear and throw in a hoody or a regular sweater if your jacket doest have a hood. I actually like having 2 hoods. Hoody cause its easier to look around in and the jacket hood on top of that when bite is slow and i need the extra warmth. I personally feel like a buff or something similar is a must. Does not have to be the thicker wool ones. The regular summer ones are fine. If you wanna get a couple you can get a thicker one but i domt think its necessary. The reason i feel like this is a must is it helps trap the heat in you layers and it does not vent out through your collar. Also you can cover up the ears and mouth if need be and still have enough of it to trap the heat.

Last note. Try not to wear cotton for any next to skin. Socks and base layers. Reason is cotton traps moisture and as mentioned before that will make you cold. And typically next to skin needs to be somewhat fitting and it can get looser the more layers you put on top of that. Again next to skin wicks and the air pockets between the layers insulate.

Again this is my understanding / "science" behind cold water kayak fishing.
    The best time spent is time that doesn't feel like it was spent at all. When it's worth it you'll give everything to do it all over again no matter what the cost.

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

Horrible. Im sure that scares alot of us... I flipped once on the one time i didnt strap my gear down or wear my vest because i was rushed by a buddy to get out on the water. I thought I would be fine because it wasnt any deeper than 10ft in this little pond/lake. Well... it sure was scary even in 10ft trying to flip a kayak back over and get my big butt back into the kayak and then retrieve all my stuff that i didnt strap down. Took me 3 hours to find my brand new rod/reel combo that was luckily standing straight up. Great lesson for me though, as i never get in the kayak or a boat without pfd, strapping stuff down and some other emergency gear. Was fishing 60ft of water the other day...and i kept thinking about all the things that could cause an incident and what i could do to prevent it.
    Lifetime Tamarack Angler
    Insta - jeepfisher_md
    fishbrain - jeepFisher

Only one way to stay safe if you fall in, dry suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another +1 for regular waders. If you do any stream wading and already have waders, this is quite the economical route. I just wear the belt, tighten it and ALWAYS wear my PFD. Did I mention always? I don't even worry about my wading boots and just stick with the attached neoprene booties. I throw some cheap crocs in the back for when I need to get out. This is great as you have room to wear whatever you want as base layers. A rain jacket over the waders and you are gloriously dry when all of your buddies have to go in for hot chocolate and a dryer session.

Gregg

Can you provide links to the wader pants and belt on Cabela's that you are referring to?

Thanks,

smithmal
    2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

Quote Originally Posted by Jesserkirk View Post
    Only one way to stay safe if you fall in, dry suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree that a drysuit offers more complete protection than the other options. However, it does not fully protect a person who falls into cold water. It does prolong the length of time before hypothermia kicks in -- eventually you will get hypothermia even wearing a dry suit if you are in the water too long. Each of us who kayaks in cold weather should make his/her own assessment of risks versus costs.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Having spent hours this past week in bumper-to-bumper traffic on Routes 2, 10 and 695 caused by auto collisions, I think the biggest risk we face as kayakers is driving to the launch.

Be safe out there -- on the water and on the road!
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Lets cut the crap about hypothermia. Hypothermia is the least of ones concern initially when falling in to cold water as it will set in after approximately 30 minutes to as much as an hour or more. The 2 things in order one needs to be concerned with when initially falling in and dress for is;

A. Cold Shock Response
    B. Cold incapacitation
    Then
    C. Hypothermia
    And if one survives the first 3 afterwards
    D. Circum-Rescue Response

This doesn't come from me but from experts who study the effects of cold water on the body. Study these things, dress for prevention and it just might save your life. If you don't care to afterwards then hey at least one will be more educated on ones mistake.

https://www.soundingsonline.com/voices/hypothermia

I may not know as much about the bay as some on here but I have been in and on the water surfing, boating, diving, kayaking, in all kinds of water and water temps, encountering enough pretty hairy situations to know how bad things can turn quickly.
    Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 12-10-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    Sun Camo Feel Free Lure 13.5
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti w/Totalscan
    B & C Power Yaks transom mount
    Minn Kota 55 Riptide

This debate is endless. Each person has to find their specific comfort point on the risk curve. Kayak fishing, like most endeavors we do for enjoyment, has risks in its very being. Some would say we’re crazy to fish from a small piece of plastic in even the best of weather conditions. It’s no surprise that people respond to the question of what to wear in cold water in different ways.

No one here has suggested that the threat of hypothermia be ignored. But the fact is that safety in a kayak cannot be totally guaranteed on any outing during any month of the year no matter what we wear nor how careful we are in where we travel on the water. The unexpected can happen regardless of our experience level. I am certainly mindful of that. Yet, I continue to fish from my kayak each month of the year without a full drysuit.

All I can do is to manage my preparations and my behaviors on the water to my satisfaction in light of the risks as I understand them. And yes, hypothermia, or rather the results from it, are a very real concern. I understand that. Yet, there is no right answer to the initial question posed in this thread (what to wear) because we’re individuals with different approaches to cold water kayak fishing and different tolerances for risk. I trust the readers here realize that.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com