Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waterproof/dry pants?

Default Waterproof/dry pants?

So I have re-ignited my interest in kayaking and have been out about 6 times in the last month or so thanks to a lighter kayak that is easier for me to transport in my jeep. I have never really fished in the cold before these last couple weeks (and not that cold yet but not summer either). Today I went out and my legs were drenched. I picked up some type of outdoor pants from Costco/Sams that are insulated and seem to be a bit water resistant. So with those and a insulate/heat later i have actually been ok in terms of wet/cold. Just curious though what the experienced winter kayak fishermen use to remain dry/comfortable on the water.

Thx!
    Lifetime Tamarack Angler
    Insta - jeepfisher_md
    fishbrain - jeepFisher

Quote Originally Posted by gshappell View Post
    So I have re-ignited my interest in kayaking and have been out about 6 times in the last month or so thanks to a lighter kayak that is easier for me to transport in my jeep. I have never really fished in the cold before these last couple weeks (and not that cold yet but not summer either). Today I went out and my legs were drenched. I picked up some type of outdoor pants from Costco/Sams that are insulated and seem to be a bit water resistant. So with those and a insulate/heat later i have actually been ok in terms of wet/cold. Just curious though what the experienced winter kayak fishermen use to remain dry/comfortable on the water.

Thx!
    Dry suit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Dry Suit.
    2017 Hobie Camo Outback
    2016 Vibe Sea Ghost

I use Kokatat dry pants. They are similar to fishing waders except they come only to my waist -- no bib. They have stocking feet over which I wear neoprene kayak shoes. The pants are not insulated. I wear jeans under them and find they keep me warm enough. On really cold days I have worn fleece wading pants under them for a little extra warmth.

I have also used my regular uninsulated fishing waders to keep my legs dry while kayaking in cold water. They have a bib and a belt. But I prefer the Kokatat pants in my kayak. They are more comfortable.

I do not have a dry suit but I also alter my kayak outings in cold water. I fish only in small creeks or ponds in ideal wind conditions and I stay very close to shore. I realize that is still a risk some are unwilling to take without benefit of a dry suit. I would encourage you to carefully weigh your kayaking experience and risk tolerance before doing the same.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

I do the waders, dry top, wading belt. there are a few videos of how this is just as good as a dry suit, but a lot cheaper. the only downside is that if you have to piss, you'll have to take everything off. Recently I've been looking for waders with a relief zipper, but they're all expensive to the point you might as well go with one of the more comfortable options that have been stated.

Thanks all! Ill check out those options and see what i can afford. I do have waterproof socks... But it seems. Their waterproofing is starting to fade. Any special boots? My wife wanted to get me those waterproof duck boots but i told her to hold off until i do some research. Lol

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
    Lifetime Tamarack Angler
    Insta - jeepfisher_md
    fishbrain - jeepFisher

Every winter, there is at least one report of someone dying because the were not dressed for immersion in cold water. If you are going to fish in the winter, invest in some proper dry gear, your life is worth it. You can get a Kokatat paddling suit for less than $500.00. Many spend that on a good rod & reel combo.

https://www.outdoorplay.com/Kokatat-...iABEgK5o_D_BwE
    2013 WS Ride 135
    2015 WS Ride 115

I love the neoprene dive socks....I have a pedal drive, so there is always a little water on my feet. They work very well at insulating, especially when wet. If you plan on catching fish, they end up on your thighs most times. A set of chest waders would be a good option if a dry suit is too pricey....don't forget your hands...
    Hobie Outback
    Ascend 12FST
    Pelican 100

As one who thought my yak is so stable I'll not flip in it and never had before a couple of weeks ago, long story short, mine flipped in 46 degree water (it's not the air you need to dress for). Having come from being in cold water down to 37 degrees during my over 50 years of surfing & scuba diving I err on the side of caution and was wearing my drysuit. Believe me when I say that saved me from a very dangerous and what could have been an extremely uncomfortable situation. Buying an adequate dry suit doesn't have to break the bank Mythic drysuits are very good and wont completely break ones pocket book. They also can be less expensive than buying dry pants & a dry top. Before you spend your money do some research on cold water immersion, then decide which way you want to go. It's your life your putting at risk. I suggest you watch cold water Bootcamp series on You Tube. Last year at this time 2 people died, One off the coast of Virginia Beach, a Navy Seal. The other on the Susquehanna River, an over 20 year experienced kayaker.
    Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 12-04-2017 at 09:40 AM.
    Sun Camo Feel Free Lure 13.5
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti w/Totalscan
    B & C Power Yaks transom mount
    Minn Kota 55 Riptide

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I use Kokatat dry pants. They are similar to fishing waders except they come only to my waist -- no bib. They have stocking feet over which I wear neoprene kayak shoes. The pants are not insulated. I wear jeans under them and find they keep me warm enough. On really cold days I have worn fleece wading pants under them for a little extra warmth.

I have also used my regular uninsulated fishing waders to keep my legs dry while kayaking in cold water. They have a bib and a belt. But I prefer the Kokatat pants in my kayak. They are more comfortable.

I do not have a dry suit but I also alter my kayak outings in cold water. I fish only in small creeks or ponds in ideal wind conditions and I stay very close to shore. I realize that is still a risk some are unwilling to take without benefit of a dry suit. I would encourage you to carefully weigh your kayaking experience and risk tolerance before doing the same.
    Great minds...same here only NRS dry pants...mostly like to wear my breathable waders...the drysuit is a huge PIA to us old fat guys...hate the neck gasket...I wore it once in the house trying it on...mostly catfish in protected waters in the colder months...they bend a rod and beat watching tv...bonus is they taste great any way you like to cook fish...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13