Thread: Report: Lower Severn 12-2

Default Report: Lower Severn 12-2

Hey fellas, first time reporting so let me know if there is anything missing or anything that needs improving for next time.

Trolled the lower Severn out of Jonas Green yesterday from about 6:15-1:30. Had a 1oz. and 1/2oz. Zman SwimmerZ in pearl running about 50 feet back and a Bomber white/chartreuse crankbait running at about 12-15 feet deep. Headed north to the 301 bridge to start, then went back down past Jonas Green across from the Naval Academy near Carr Point. Water clarity was really poor, only about 2 feet tops, and leaf litter caused the usual problems for this time of year. Water checked in at 52 degrees throughout the day. I was marking fish mostly within 10 feet of the bottom in 25-30 feet of water. A lot were scattershot but I saw a few small schools and generally way more fish below Jonas Green than above by the 301 bridge. Moved back north along the western shore, then back to the 301 bridge and got ready to call it a day. Not even a thump at that point, which in typical angler fashion I will firmly blame on the muddy water haha! Before packing it in I went back down the eastern side from the 301 bridge towards Jonas Green, and right near the channel marker my crankbait rod started zipping drag hard and bent so far I thought it would snap. I tightened drag and looked up to a monster rock with his fin above the water, making a run to deep water. Luckily his path to deeper water sent him right at my yak, and I was able to flip him onto my lap. In the end, he was a 29” and my personal best by a foot. Pictures attached. This is cheesy, but thank you guys for being a great community. I’ve been reading and reading for over 3 months on SnaggedLine and you guys have provided so much valuable information that has made my time on the water much more productive. Especially Yakscientist, who has shared loads of great info. Best of luck in these winter months guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by YakMan1731; 12-03-2017 at 10:24 PM.

Great job, well done. Those big ones are fun. I went looking for yellow perch on the Magothy yesterday and didn't even get a bite, shoulda headed to Severn! Lots of meat on that guy.
    ---------------------------------------
    2015 Ivory Dune Hobie Outback
    12' Perception Pescador
    10' Perception Pescador

Nice fish and report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jake

See, that secret spot I showed you holds only 29" fish! Haha congrats man. You're off to a helluva start to kayak fishing. These next few months have the potential for quality over quantity so hopefully it's one of many big fish. Will def be on the hunt with you for big ones soon.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Good for you YakMan.

A lot of folks have traveled the same path this fall and not done as well as you.

Congratulations!

That area of the Severn has been stingy to many of us. Your achievement is notable.

You launched at Jonas Green, I presume, not (Ft.) Smallwood.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your kind words. And yes, you are correct! Jonas Green and not Smallwood. My mistake- Updated the report to correct that. I’ve been reading that the Severn has been tough this fall. Maybe wintertime will show us all some good whoppers.

Quote Originally Posted by YakMan1731 View Post
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for your kind words. And yes, you are correct! Jonas Green and not Smallwood. My mistake- Updated the report to correct that. I’ve been reading that the Severn has been tough this fall. Maybe wintertime will show us all some good whoppers.
    No problem. If I had caught a 29 incher there I might have been so excited that I would have gotten that small detail wrong too!

Again, good catch.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

I love the story and the pictures..... What a cool day!!
    Harlan

Revo 13
    Trident 13
    Cuda 14
    Necky Tandem