Report: Lower Severn 12-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Lower Severn 12-2

Hey fellas, first time reporting so let me know if there is anything missing or anything that needs improving for next time.

Trolled the lower Severn out of Jonas Green yesterday from about 6:15-1:30. Had a 1oz. and 1/2oz. Zman SwimmerZ in pearl running about 50 feet back and a Bomber white/chartreuse crankbait running at about 12-15 feet deep. Headed north to the 301 bridge to start, then went back down past Jonas Green across from the Naval Academy near Carr Point. Water clarity was really poor, only about 2 feet tops, and leaf litter caused the usual problems for this time of year. Water checked in at 52 degrees throughout the day. I was marking fish mostly within 10 feet of the bottom in 25-30 feet of water. A lot were scattershot but I saw a few small schools and generally way more fish below Jonas Green than above by the 301 bridge. Moved back north along the western shore, then back to the 301 bridge and got ready to call it a day. Not even a thump at that point, which in typical angler fashion I will firmly blame on the muddy water haha! Before packing it in I went back down the eastern side from the 301 bridge towards Jonas Green, and right near the channel marker my crankbait rod started zipping drag hard and bent so far I thought it would snap. I tightened drag and looked up to a monster rock with his fin above the water, making a run to deep water. Luckily his path to deeper water sent him right at my yak, and I was able to flip him onto my lap. In the end, he was a 29” and my personal best by a foot. Pictures attached. This is cheesy, but thank you guys for being a great community. I’ve been reading and reading for over 3 months on SnaggedLine and you guys have provided so much valuable information that has made my time on the water much more productive. Especially Yakscientist, who has shared loads of great info. Best of luck in these winter months guys!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by YakMan1731; 12-03-2017, 09:24 PM.
    Matt
    Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
    2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
    10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Great job, well done. Those big ones are fun. I went looking for yellow perch on the Magothy yesterday and didn't even get a bite, shoulda headed to Severn! Lots of meat on that guy.

Comment

Nice fish and report!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      J

Comment

See, that secret spot I showed you holds only 29" fish! Haha congrats man. You're off to a helluva start to kayak fishing. These next few months have the potential for quality over quantity so hopefully it's one of many big fish. Will def be on the hunt with you for big ones soon.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Good for you YakMan.

A lot of folks have traveled the same path this fall and not done as well as you.

Congratulations!

That area of the Severn has been stingy to many of us. Your achievement is notable.

You launched at Jonas Green, I presume, not (Ft.) Smallwood.
          Mark
          Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
          Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
          Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your kind words. And yes, you are correct! Jonas Green and not Smallwood. My mistake- Updated the report to correct that. I’ve been reading that the Severn has been tough this fall. Maybe wintertime will show us all some good whoppers.
            Matt
            Instagram: @sunrisekayakfishing
            2019 Vibe Sea Ghost 130- "The Blurple Nurple"
            10' Pelican Angler 100- "The Starter Kit"

Comment

Originally posted by YakMan1731 View Post
              Hi Mark,

Thanks for your kind words. And yes, you are correct! Jonas Green and not Smallwood. My mistake- Updated the report to correct that. I’ve been reading that the Severn has been tough this fall. Maybe wintertime will show us all some good whoppers.
              No problem. If I had caught a 29 incher there I might have been so excited that I would have gotten that small detail wrong too!

Again, good catch.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I love the story and the pictures..... What a cool day!!
                Harlan

Revo 13
                Trident 13
                Cuda 14
                Necky Tandem

Comment

Working...
                X