No announcement yet.

Bixpy Test Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’d like to see that too. It seems to me that it might not perform well because it has a small prop where the Torqeedo has a large prop that was specially designed for the Torqeedo to provide the optimum power and speed. I’m not knocking it but just wondering and would like to see how it performs in less than optimal conditions.

Comment

Here's Jeff's video that a couple of you have mentioned. It's a Bixpy vs Torqeedo.
      Jeff's a Torqeedo employee, but he gave it a fair side to side test. He actually shot this video many months ago, but he didn't release it until recently. We were both interested to see how the Bixpy would do. I called him probably every day to see how the tests were going and we were both bummed when the Bixpy broke on the maiden voyage. I think it'd be better without the cage. If a rock or something else gets in there, as was the case in Jeff's video, the prop just eats itself apart. It's early to tell how it holds up over the long run, but this video shows the speed and range of both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUOi...ature=youtu.be

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

But here again from what I watched it was still a relatively calm day with negligible winds on a lake with virtually no current. What I would like to see is how it handles the bay currents and winds. But Jeff's video does show some of the concerns I have had in my initial thoughts on this product. So thanks for posting that link.

Comment

My Bixpy just arrived yesterday. I have both the mirage drive mount and the rear mount that is in the video and I own a PA-12 so the setup is a bit different. The instructions that come with the Bixpy direct you to remove the protective caps completely and use them during storage otherwise they will be lost. I will attempt to post some video under bay fishing conditions once I can get back on the water. In the mean time I do have a 24lb thrust Watersnake with a marine battery for sale! PM me if interested; It has to go!
          Gregory
          ​Ain't Misbehavin'
          2014 Pro Angler 12
          '

Comment

The watersnake has found a home! The Bixpy is headed for the Bay!
            Gregory
            ​Ain't Misbehavin'
            2014 Pro Angler 12
            '

Comment

Originally posted by AintMisBehavin View Post
              The watersnake has found a home! The Bixpy is headed for the Bay!
              Anxious for the results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              2015 Hobie Outback
              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

My Bixpy just arrived yesterday. I have both the mirage drive mount and the rear mount that is in the video and I own a PA-12 so the setup is a bit different. The instructions that come with the Bixpy direct you to remove the protective caps completely and use them during storage otherwise they will be lost. I will attempt to post some video under bay fishing conditions once I can get back on the water. In the mean time I do have a 24lb thrust Watersnake with a marine battery for sale! PM me if interested; It has to go!
                That protective cover instruction is interesting. Could really negate the main flaw which presented itself in Jeff's video.

On a related note, has anyone ever run 2 of the torqeedo ultralights off something like a PA? Or even the next model up in the lighter torqeedo series, I think it's the travel? I would be curious as to what the max speed capabilities of some of the more popular hobie hulls are, like the outback or PA. I know water resistance plays a big role in determining max speed, and electric motors I imagine have built in limitations, so I wouldn't imagine the boats going above 8 mph or so, but it'd be cool to see.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                  That protective cover instruction is interesting. Could really negate the main flaw which presented itself in Jeff's video.

On a related note, has anyone ever run 2 of the torqeedo ultralights off something like a PA? Or even the next model up in the lighter torqeedo series, I think it's the travel? I would be curious as to what the max speed capabilities of some of the more popular hobie hulls are, like the outback or PA. I know water resistance plays a big role in determining max speed, and electric motors I imagine have built in limitations, so I wouldn't imagine the boats going above 8 mph or so, but it'd be cool to see.
                  I think you're going to see diminishing returns on speed after reaching the design hull speed. For the PA I'm guessing that is between 3-5 mph. The guy with the Honda outboard would be a better one to chime in. I did see one of those catamaran style "kayaks" with two Bixpy's attached to the fin mounts and it moved pretty fast. That's the cool thing about the Bixpy is they are modular. They make a handheld adapter for diving, attach to anything with standards fins (SUP, certain kayaks, etc), and the hard mounts. The one thing I don't like in particular is the steering setup though. Why is it so high in the air? The range features on the Torqeedo are nice, but really just bells and whistles. I'd like to see Torqeedo offer a stripped down version of their setup for less money to compete with the Bixpy.
                  2015 Hobie Outback
                  2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I’ve been talking with Bixpy and they are releasing a new universal setup next month that I think I’m going to try. The downtube will be 4” shorter so it’s not sticking way up in the air and should aid in steering. Sounds like there may be a few other modifications, probably a better clip for one, that address some of these early issues users are having. I’m hoping for basically the 403 setup, but using the Bixpy, leaving my sailing rudder and Mirage drive fully functional.

2015 Hobie Outback
                    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Bixpy Rudder Modification. I made a modification to the old sailing rudder so I could turn better when the motor is off.

Rudder.jpg rudder2.jpg rudder3.jpg

Outback 2015
                      Maui

Comment

Originally posted by Goody View Post
                        Bixpy Rudder Modification. I made a modification to the old sailing rudder so I could turn better when the motor is off.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23599[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]23600[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]23601[/ATTACH]
                        Interesting. Think that’s better than the universal setup with sailing rudder?

Also, thoughts on the Bixpy in general?

2015 Hobie Outback
                        2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
                          Interesting. Think that’s better than the universal setup with sailing rudder?

Also, thoughts on the Bixpy in general?

I just went with what was simplest to me. Easy setup and I can use the mirage drive with it. I don't know if it's better or worse.

For my use and purpose I think the Bixpy is great. I have no complaints. I've used it to go up current and drift and at the end of the day to go in. I have never even come close to draining the battery yet.

Outback 2015
                          Maui

Comment

See how long I can hold out to get one, haha. I’m digging your setup, but I think I’m going with my original plan and mounting the motor independently . I’d like to be able to just lift it up when I’m not using it, especially while trolling or beaching. Can’t wait to see what this thing can do!

2015 Hobie Outback
                            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I've looked at finding the propulsion system that would take the speed of my PA12 to the next level. As a very general rule the maximum speed of any displacement hull--commonly called its hull speed--is governed by a simple formula: hull speed in knots equals 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length in feet (HS = 1.34 x √LWL). I can't get it past 5 mph which is what I get with the mirage drive at full scoot.
                              Gregory
                              ​Ain't Misbehavin'
                              2014 Pro Angler 12
                              '

Comment

I've looked at finding the propulsion system that would take the speed of my PA12 to the next level. As a very general rule the maximum speed of any displacement hull--commonly called its hull speed--is governed by a simple formula: hull speed in knots equals 1.34 times the square root of the waterline length in feet (HS = 1.34 x √LWL). I can't get it past 5 mph which is what I get with the mirage drive at full scoot.
                                What speeds are you getting at say half throttle while using the Mirage drive?
                                2015 Hobie Outback
                                2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                                X