Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: December Meet and Greet -- Unicorn Lake

I'll swing by as long as it's not raining.

I fish this place once or twice a year going back about 35 years. It gets choked out badly in the summer time with weed growth, to the point you can only fish about 25% of the pond at times.

The spillway in this pond is one of the best I know of to take a kid with a bobber and a worm. It is easy for them to catch tons of sunfish and my parents took me there starting when I was probably 8 years old. The spillway is also the last place I took my elderly parents fishing before they passed away. I pulled my truck over to the waters edge and put out lawn chairs for them to fish from.

In the recent past they have also stocked trout in the creek that exits the pond. The trout stocking seems weird because there is literally only about 100 yards of non-tidal creek before there is a small dam at the edge of the main road where it becomes tidal. The creek itself is probably only about two miles in total before it empties into the Chester river. I don't know how often they do the trout stocking but I've seen the signs stating to keep the trout you need a trout stamp in the past couple years.
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2014 Hobie ProAngler 12
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Quote Originally Posted by willf650 View Post
    In the recent past they have also stocked trout in the creek that exits the pond. The trout stocking seems weird because there is literally only about 100 yards of non-tidal creek before there is a small dam at the edge of the main road where it becomes tidal. The creek itself is probably only about two miles in total before it empties into the Chester river. I don't know how often they do the trout stocking but I've seen the signs stating to keep the trout you need a trout stamp in the past couple years.

Welcome to trout fishing Atlantic Coastal Plain style. DNR wants to give anglers the best chance to catch fish. It feels more like fish in a barrel to me. Last time I spoke with someone from DNR, they said due to temperatures, dissolved oxygen and contaminate loads, there are very few streams outside of western Maryland that can support trout year round. They stock them in a manner that ensures the majority of them will be caught because if they aren't caught, they're going to die anyway.

I hope to be at the Meet and Greet. We'll see what mother nature has in store for the weekend.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna

As a point of clarification, the DNR stocked 600 trout in Unicorn Branch behind the dam in the spring. No stockings were scheduled there in the fall. I mention that because the lake itself is not stocked with trout and you do not need a trout stamp to fish there.

As to vegetation, yes it's thick in the lake in the warmer months.

This was at the boat ramp last May:

P1020689.jpg

Also, the spatterdock was really thick. The spatterdock "fields" are excellent places to target pickerel, like this one I pulled from the edges:

P1020692.jpg

Excessive vegetation will not be an issue this month but there will be remnants of spatterdock which will be good areas to search for pickerel.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    As a point of clarification, the DNR stocked 600 trout in Unicorn Branch behind the dam in the spring. No stockings were scheduled there in the fall. I mention that because the lake itself is not stocked with trout and you do not need a trout stamp to fish there.
    You don't need a trout stamp to fish in the creek either. You only need it if you intend on keeping the stocked trout.
    2008 Native Ultimate 14.5
    2014 Hobie ProAngler 12
    2015 Coosa HD
    2016 Hobie Outback Limited Edition #56
    2017 Pelican Trailblazer 1000 (38# of portaging freedom)

Sweet- getting permission as i type this

I’m in!!
    Last edited by Dan the Man; 12-11-2017 at 06:23 AM.