Lower Potomac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Potomac

I initially posted this in the Maryland forum, but figured if any of y'all can launch into around the lower Potomac/Smith Point area, the time is now! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Last time I went out was the first week on November and there was still action in the creeks. This weekend I went out Friday and Saturday. Water is now 15 degrees cooler, at around 51 then earlier this month. Friday afternoon I went out with my buddy in his CC out of Point Lookout. (Not a kayak, but bear with me) Ran across the river to the Virginia side. Lots of boats out in a small area, mostly people trolling, a few jigging-which is what we ended up doing. Some running and gunning for birds. We ended up with half a dozen schoolies. Did see a lot of folks with sizable fish though. Saturday afternoon, launched with another buddy in our kayaks from Kitts Point. Trolled in the creek, then down Calvert Bay to the mouth of Rowley Bay and back. No joy until around sunset. I caught one just under 20" that could have maybe been stretched out, but ended up being released. I don't currently have a fish finder, but my buddy does and he wasn't marking too many fish. I was hooking up on my Crystal Minnow and I believe he had a light bucktail with curly tail. My take away from the weekend is that the fish are out there, but the larger schools seem to be over on the Virginia side-a bit far for me to target with my kayak launching anywhere on the Maryland side. If you're able to launch from the Virginia side, go for it. The action is hot and this week looks like it is turned on! I think that this weekend's "fleet" kind of disrupted the pattern, but now the pressure is "lessened".
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
    Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160
Working...
X