Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $50 bass pro card...thoughts?

I think it is a good idea for you to try the equipment you already have before you spend the money for new stuff. As far as baitcasting or spinning I use both and I prefer spinning. I think it is just as easy to flip the bail over to let more line out as it is to hit a button. Also as someone suggested watch ebay for a good rod. I picked up 2 nice jigging rods for $38 each plus $15 shipping. I recently bought a custom made jigging rod and I really haven't noticed a difference in sensitivity between it and my other jigging rods. Also I may hit Armistead this weekend if I am around and the weather is good. If I go you are welcome to tag along. I did well there 3 weeks ago but that was trolling. We could try to jig some up. I jig quite a bit when I am out on my friends boat, on the kayak I troll more,

I like lighter jigs on the spinning reels and heavy jigs on the baitcaster.

I also learned how to speed jig for big convict bass from Capt Brady and can pull a fish from 65 feet of water with a Shimano Speed jig and two assist hooks.

Capt Mike

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    Thank you everyone for your advice. I do want to try jigging with my current setups first, and I think my ugly stik elite might be the best option since it's the most sensitive. I think the hardest thing for me in a paddle kayak is keeping position, because every time I want to jig (late in the season usually) it's always very windy. But hopefully as I start to get a feel for the technique, I will just be able to change out some baits on my current setups and jig them. I may buy some of those coach setups from you John. And thanks John (Silas), def will take you up on your offer too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Something that can help you when you are LTJ via drift fishing is a drift sock. I run mine trough my anchor trolley so I can control my yaks facing direction. It's attached to my anchor line (without the anchor) running from my Anchor wizard. Utilizing it with that I can control my rate of drift according to the amount of line out as well as making it easier to retrieve it.
    Sun Camo Feel Free Lure 13.5
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti w/Totalscan
    B & C Power Yaks transom mount
    Minn Kota 55 Riptide

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
    Something that can help you when you are LTJ via drift fishing is a drift sock. I run mine trough my anchor trolley so I can control my yaks facing direction. It's attached to my anchor line (without the anchor) running from my Anchor wizard. Utilizing it with that I can control my rate of drift according to the amount of line out as well as making it easier to retrieve it.
    I've had a drift sock for 2 years now that I've yet to use, so maybe it is time to give it a shot.

Sorry to have to ask. What is LTJ? Light tackle jigging?
    ---------------------------------
    Mike Hossom
    Olive Jackson Cuda 12

Quote Originally Posted by mhossom View Post
    Sorry to have to ask. What is LTJ? Light tackle jigging?
    Yes that is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by yakscientist View Post
    I've had a drift sock for 2 years now that I've yet to use, so maybe it is time to give it a shot.
    I bought the upper priced model Minn Kota one, have been real happy with it. The way it's made it opens quick due to the construction of it. Give it a try.
    MIN1865261-2.jpg
    Sun Camo Feel Free Lure 13.5
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti w/Totalscan
    B & C Power Yaks transom mount
    Minn Kota 55 Riptide