Yak transport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yak transport

Yakers. I figured i share my very inexpensive pickup truck solution with you.

Needed-
    2 tires from Harbor freight
    4 U-Bolts to keep the wheels in Line
    6 eye bolts for ratchet straps
    3 3’ 2x4 for structure
    2 8’ PVC 4” (it doesn’t really matter
    2 4’ PVC 3” (has to be smaller than the rails)

Basically made a PVC bunk- no great feat there. I measured the middle 2x4 so it could be braced on the tongue of the truck bed or even with the tongue w/ backward pressure to keep it all in place.

Anyway- this solution is long enough to get to a dock or rip-rap, pivot it and hold the axl while ramping the yak down into OR up from, the water. I use the 3” PVC as a handle extension so it is easier to move.

I’d love a trailer, but I’m waiting on Harbor Freight to start selling them again. In the mean time, this is what I’m using.
    9BA4E390-DCEC-4746-BDED-3363B46F99C0.jpg73751224-D29E-4430-9BEF-4A5036AB761C.jpgEC5FB05D-FBCF-4F92-846E-23FFBCF33C19.jpg

Cool idea. Can you post a close up photo of the wheel and how that axle point is constructed together?

Comment

Sure. I will take some more pics. Basically, i used 2 U-Bolts, 1 on each side of the wheel. It is for short runs- i would t tow with this or anything. Since there is so little stress on the bolt, it works. EACE792A-F585-4B59-B483-5A179F1D49B3.jpgMy ideal solution is a 20ft extension ladder. The first 10 ft would have large PVC as rails and the extension would have a smaller diameter that would retreat inside the larger... I’d be able to span any rip rap or dock with that solution. Keeping an eye out on Craig’s list.

Comment

I have a much modified Harbor Freight custom trailer that I'm thinking of selling.
        It has 3" PVC bunks that I use to both store and haul my Outback and Slayer Propel.
        The 2 sets of bunks are adjustable to accommodate any 2 kayaks or canoes.
        Let me know if you may be interested.

Comment

Working...
        X