New to Virginia area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Virginia area

Good afternoon all. I have been reading through the threads and have seen some interesting items. I am new to the area, moved from CO for work. I have kayaked for shark in the Gulf of Mexico, but that was just to drop baits 500 yards out from shore. I would like to do some fishing here, but would like to get some sea under me before trying to tackle strong currents and tides. That’s a couple things I didn’t have to worry about in TX. Any beginner advice for a land locked rookie would be of great appreciation. I have fished out of my yak for bass and trout, obviously a striper or cobia is going to be a whole lot more interesting to land, to say the least. I have a lot of light tackle, so tackle advice and maybe a spot that has some weaker currents and tides chances would be great. Would also like to join a group or just meet a few that wouldn’t mind me tagging along to learn the technique to use. I am not looking for hunny holes or secret spots, just some experience under my belt to try the CHBT

Romancoke might be a good beginner spot, its not the Atlantic, but the Chesapeake Bay can be similar conditions and 2-3 hours shorter drive from metro DC. The Bay itself can be challenging as the tide shift can be somewhat violent and strong currents, and on windy days its just as rough as the ocean. but Romancoke is a smaller bay somewhat protected from the main Bay. Other than areas like that on the Chesapeake bay, you just have to watch the weather and go out to Assateague Island, MD or Henlopen, DE or Ocean City, MD (All of these places both have bays where you can kayak on the ocean side or on the bay side which is protected by land so the bay side has calmer waters.) or Kiptopeke, VA it has no Bay but there ae the famous Concrete Ships that provide some protection from rough waters. But the key to all of it is checking the tides, the wave period, wave height, wind speed, wind direction.. and you can kind of calculate a good day on the water. If the wave period is less than twice the wave height( some say three times) then its probably too rough to go out unless there are other mitigating factors. If the wave height is 4 feet and the period is 6 seconds its probably too rough, if the wave height is 5 feet and the period is 12-15 seconds it probably a good day as long as the winds are under 10 mph. NOAA web sites are your friend.

Comment

Outstanding. Thanks for the advice. I will check out NOAA

Comment

Your location doesn’t give any detail- Virginia is a big state- Tidewater, Richmond, Northern Virginia Northern Neck and Eastern Shore all offer outstanding opportunities for kayak fishing- each has its own nuances and local conditions- I live in Southern Maryland about 16 miles from the Harry Nice/US301 bridge over the Potomac River- there are any number of feeder creeks to the Potomac that offer protected waters for a beginner to get some experience but with minimum risk- this time of year I recommend that you go with a partner/buddy...safety in numbers. Our forum has a very diverse group of experienced anglers that will be very helpful...find a fishing buddy that lives close is my advice...
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Thank you. I didn’t realize that I hadn’t given some more specific location details. I am staying about 40 minutes from Newport News VA. I have no problem driving a few hours to get into some areas. Where I live in Colorado I have traveled up to 5 hours one way for a great day or two on the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Slats44 View Post
            Thank you. I didn’t realize that I hadn’t given some more specific location details. I am staying about 40 minutes from Newport News VA. I have no problem driving a few hours to get into some areas. Where I live in Colorado I have traveled up to 5 hours one way for a great day or two on the water.
            I didn't respond to your initial post because I didn't see your location when you post. Anyway, there are two groups of kayak anglers in your area. One fishes in less-physically-stressful waters for limited species, and the the other fishes any waters for any species. There are no such thing as one is better than the other. IMO, 90-95% belongs to the former, and 5-10 % belongs to the latter.

I am in the "any waters for any species" group. If you are in "any waters for any species" group, check out the titles of my posts in VA forum this year, or check the titles of my Youtube videos this year (userID: ComeOnFish01).

Joe
            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-22-2017, 07:48 AM.
            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Thanks Joe. I will go back and look at some of those.

I to am in the any species any water category, although I am working my way out to deeper waters. I have only done near shore fishing, we’ll call it within 1/4 to 1/2 mile of shore.

My ultimate goal is to catch something big. Don’t really have a specific species in mind.

Again, thanks.

Comment

Working...
              X