Kipto Tog and Rudee Speck - Nov 15, 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kipto Tog and Rudee Speck - Nov 15, 2017

While driving to CBBT, I saw a waning crescent before the new moon phase (11/18). Based on the combination of the 10-12 MPH NE wind forecast, the waning crescent near the full moon, and the high tide phase, I knew launching would be impossible despite the not-so-strong wind at 12 MPH. But before heading for Kipto, I stopped by the CBBT launch site to confirm how bad the wave condition was . It was bad. The wave was pounding he concrete ramp at the beach.

I launched the kayak at around 8:00 AM at Kipto boat ramp. I saw a kayaker (Jake) first time. I had one bite for 30 minute. And that was a 17" tog. My bad luck (in catching part only) started when I try to stringer the tog. The tog somehow pulled herself out of my hand and saved her life. No big deal, I could catch more I thought. But that was the one of 2 bites (one was toad fish) I had in the morning.

Jake and I got together at around 10:00 AM and fish different locations to find fish. But by noon we knew there was no hope. No bites of any kinds at all. So we decided to fish Rudee.

We had about 2 hours for fishing. At the boat ramp I saw one peanut bunker jumping between the aquarium and the northern shore. So we decided to troll the aquarium area with MirrOlure first. There we met Kevin (He thought me speck fishing a long time ago. He is a very good kayak angler.) He told us that speck was in deep water (30-35') on the bottom water column. I cast and trolled (very slowly) a 1/2 OZ jig head with swim bait. I had 4 good bites, but landed only one at 16-17". Jake caught some dink and a keeper at 16-17". I heard it was a very slow day for the most of anglers.

While driving home, I found that I was very happy regardless the unproductive day. Meeting kayak anglers who don't mind sharing knowledge is the one of the most valuable things to me in my kayak fishing.

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-16-2017, 07:35 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

I wonder how the surf pounding was. Several weeks ago when I fished there, the sand was eroded to a level about two feet below the concrete ramp. There was no barricade, so I guess officials thought it was still safe to access the beach there.

Same here. Even though I get unproductive days, I still feel good about fishing while anticipating the next trip.

Thanks for the report. I hope wx is good next weekend. Would like to try for togs with a side-catch of a couple of p-drums.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      I wonder how the surf pounding was. Several weeks ago when I fished there, the sand was eroded to a level about two feet below the concrete ramp. There was no barricade, so I guess officials thought it was still safe to access the beach there.

Same here. Even though I get unproductive days, I still feel good about fishing while anticipating the next trip.

Thanks for the report. I hope wx is good next weekend. Would like to try for togs with a side-catch of a couple of p-drums.
      Sand at the launch for the CBBT is still below the ramp. It has gotten lower. I can’t use my cart on it because of the height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      J

Comment

I just finish my weekend work. I am heading for Rudee to see if I can catch speck in the deep water, 15'-20' below the surface. I am bringing an anchor in case the wind is too strong.
        I hope I meet some forum members.

Joe
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Working...
        X