Exposed Blank Riod Handles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exposed Blank Riod Handles

During my recent trip to TX I used rods with the blanks exposed on the handles.

I had never used rods like them before.

The handles looked like this:

Rod handle.jpg

I've heard they are more sensitive than full cork-handled rods. I wasn't finesse fishing so I noticed no increase in sensitivity. But I did notice that I liked grasping the thin handles.

So, my questions to those of you who use them are:

Are such rods suitable for kayak fishing? My concern is their durability when they are subjected to frequent sliding in and out of rod holders.

What are their advantages and disadvantages over conventional full cork handles.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

I have a few rods with split handles like this and I'm not sure they help or hurt my fishing in any way. In addition, I have both cork and EVA grips and I'm not sure there is any significant difference there either. I do like modern EVA though, and it is certainly more durable than cork, but not as "warm" in my hand. Historically I wouldn't buy a rod that didn't have cork grips, but now I'm open to either. I bought into the split grips provide better feel, so the rods I have are generally faster action jigging rods where they would benefit most. From a durability standpoint the discussion should be EVA vs cork, and EVA is a bit better in that regard, but none of my cork handles are wearing excessively either. I say get what feels good in your hand, particularly with the intended reel mounted. Concerning rod holders, the larger diameter handle the better, and split handles do not work as well as straight handles, but the key here is probably how often you change rods. On my boat I reserve one side for spinning reels and the other side for casting reels, so switching out rods requires the least amount of readjustment to my rod holders. The same is true for straight handles vs split handles, they don't ride in there the same, so switching between the two can be slightly more inconvenient.
    Last edited by silasvirus82; 11-15-2017, 01:16 PM.
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I use some split handle rods for kayak fishing and have had no problems with them . I think they are as durable as any other rod. I'm mot sure they are really that much more sensitive though. I have not fished the two different handles side by side to see the difference.

Comment

Mike, John,

Thanks for your comments.

One thing I noticed is that I could feel the handle flex when I cast the popping cork. It didn't flex when I cast a regular topwater lure or paddletail.

I think I'll stay with full handles for now.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

If you're casting and holding the rods then split grips are great. If you're trolling then it may not be as secure and it will damage the finish on the rod depending on the rod holder you use. Outback front rod holders shred the outer finish on a rod...

I thought you were referring to reel seats with the blank exposed vs a split grip. You can get a full cork (I think new St Croixs have this exposed seat and others like a carrot stick have pac bay minima seats) with a window to allow your finger to rest on the blank for more sensitivity. Perhaps that can be your compromise?
          Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
          Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
          https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
            If you're casting and holding the rods then split grips are great. If you're trolling then it may not be as secure and it will damage the finish on the rod depending on the rod holder you use. Outback front rod holders shred the outer finish on a rod...

I thought you were referring to reel seats with the blank exposed vs a split grip. You can get a full cork (I think new St Croixs have this exposed seat and others like a carrot stick have pac bay minima seats) with a window to allow your finger to rest on the blank for more sensitivity. Perhaps that can be your compromise?
            Thank you.

I was indeed referring to split handles.

Rod holder advice was precisely what I was looking for.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Mark- I fabricated a modified set of rod holders out of PVC like a number of Hobie owners have and they accept both kinds of handles fine...
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I have a Trevala S that I use on the boat for pretty much anything striper. It gets abused for no worse the wear, but not as much as on kayak. I never used it on the yak, for it is too heavy (MH) for around here, but I know the ML is a common yak rod for up north for bigger cows.
                BTW, the "S" is the jigger with the split handle.
                Last edited by summersoff; 11-16-2017, 12:12 PM.
                Jay

10' Green Slayer
                13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Working...
                X