Calorie burn rate question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calorie burn rate question

Had a question thrown at me that I could not answer about Hobie Mirage Drives...after a full day on the water Sunday (5hours) pretty much constantly pumping the pedals on the Mirage Drive...Kevin asks- how many calories did we burn Sunday- 3000?

The stair stepping design of the drive and the resistance of the Turbo fins burns calories for sure, but how many?
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

I found hobie promoting a mirage "spinning class" in MA....funny they wouldnt have data.
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Went on Northwest Kayak forum- they say between 300 and 450 per hour depending on level of peddling, weight, etc.
      Update:
      According to Health Status, a 150 lb person will burn about 477 calories per 60 minute workout on a stepper. You can use an online calculator to determine the number of calories you will burn depending on your body weight.
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 11-14-2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I quickly regain my calories (and then some) at the Canton Chinese buffet in Annapolis after my Severn outings!
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
          Went on Northwest Kayak forum- they say between 300 and 450 per hour depending on level of peddling, weight, etc.
          When one considers walking alone burns about 450 calories in an hour (one hour, walking three miles), I would think 450 calories an hour is a conservative estimate. You are also casting, turning from your torso, fighting fish, and sometimes paddling as well as peddling. Throw in being in cold weather and that burns even more calories just to keep warm.

So yea, have that hearty meal, a beer or two and even dessert!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
            I quickly regain my calories (and then some) at the Canton Chinese buffet in Annapolis after my Severn outings!
            I hear ya, Mark...I do the same at the Taco Bell near the Tackle Box...XXL Grilled Burrito...

Comment

Yeah I think for paddling it's between 350-450 calories per hour at a moderate pace, but like you said, add in the cold and that'll be more like 400-500 I'm sure. Most of my trips are about 4 hours, sometimes as long as 6, so I definitely don't shy away from several large meals once I'm back on shore. I prefer 3 donuts as my morning meal actually before paddling, I think the sugar and fat is the perfect fuel for a long paddle.

Comment

Working...
              X