Chinese Rotomolded Coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chinese Rotomolded Coolers

I've seen some kayaks on here from China that are knockoffs of many popular brands offered here in the US, and for the most part they look pretty decent for the price. That got me thinking about rotomolded coolers and sure enough there are many to choose from. For a long time I've thought Yeti's and the like were extremely overpriced and after seeing how much they cost direct from China I'm pretty sure I'm right. They are like sunglasses, 80% made in the same place (China), often the same factory, and range in price from $5-$500 depending on the brand you want to pay for.

Many coolers on Alibaba require purchasing multiple units (10+), but a few will allow a single purchase. Has anyone bought a rotomolded cooler from overseas, they offer some on eBay as well?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta....b468fe0NjKlqg
    2015 Hobie Outback
    2001 Dagger Cayman

John

I haven't bought any from alibaba, or in general, but the walmart brand (ozark trail maybe?) roto cooler looks pretty decent and is obv much less than a yeti. I've heard it performs very well too. They also have soft coolers but I'm not sure about their quality really.

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
      I haven't bought any from alibaba, or in general, but the walmart brand (ozark trail maybe?) roto cooler looks pretty decent and is obv much less than a yeti. I've heard it performs very well too. They also have soft coolers but I'm not sure about their quality really.
      The coolers direct from China are still about 50% less than the Walmart coolers. They quoted me $60 for a 45qt, and for that price I can probably get another 80qt for less than $200 total. An 80qt Yeti is almost $500. I can buy a lot of ice for that price, and when it gets stolen I'm not going to be out nearly as much. How did Yeti ever get so many people to drop $500 on a cooler!?
      2015 Hobie Outback
      2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Originally posted by silasvirus82 View Post
        I've seen some kayaks on here from China that are knockoffs of many popular brands offered here in the US, and for the most part they look pretty decent for the price. That got me thinking about rotomolded coolers and sure enough there are many to choose from. For a long time I've thought Yeti's and the like were extremely overpriced and after seeing how much they cost direct from China I'm pretty sure I'm right. They are like sunglasses, 80% made in the same place (China), often the same factory, and range in price from $5-$500 depending on the brand you want to pay for.

Many coolers on Alibaba require purchasing multiple units (10+), but a few will allow a single purchase. Has anyone bought a rotomolded cooler from overseas, they offer some on eBay as well?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta....b468fe0NjKlqg
        If you decide to buy a 45qt let me know how it is or maybe just get you to order two!! Can't beat that price and I wouldn't feel stupid just leaving it on my boat, since its not a couple $100.
        Matt (Formerly CB Kayak 02 "Over 3,000 Posts")
        CCA Annapolis Chapter President

Hobie Outback 2015

Comment

They sure pass the eye test. I mean they look JUST like the Yetis. Was the quote including shipping?

Comment

Originally posted by mytmouse View Post
            They sure pass the eye test. I mean they look JUST like the Yetis. Was the quote including shipping?
            I don’t have a formal quote yet, just the checkout price. I’m waiting on pricing for a few different sizes. If I decide to order anyone can piggyback on mine and save on shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            2015 Hobie Outback
            2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Gotcha!

Comment

For that price, I would gladly throw the dice and buy a Yoti. Never understood a Yeti. All the boat guys I go with use whatever’s and never has there a problem with the ice lasting entire trip, even tuna overnights. I see more Yeti tumblers than actual Yeti’s. I guess the hipsters will be wearing Xtratufs to garden in pretty soon.
                Pease Post if you get extra size prices or shipping cost. Thanks
                Last edited by summersoff; 11-14-2017, 04:29 AM.
                Jay

10' Green Slayer
                13’ Red Slayer

Comment

Many of these companies will include a custom logo for orders large enough. Be pretty cool to get the Snaggedline logo on a big group buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  2015 Hobie Outback
                  2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

I have one of each of the 23qt, 52qt, & 74qt from Wally World, they were less than 1/2 the Yeti price, and i'm more than happy with their performance. They are actually manufacturered from a well known brand you'd recognize, but branded the WM 'Ozark'.

If you can get the snaggedline logo as a raised embossed logo in the cooler lid, count me in on the bulk order.
                    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

I would def be in if we did a group buy. I will have to check out the sizes. They'd come in handy even if just to hold ice/fish for our jbay trip. I think the one I use, the red/white igloo, is a 40 or 46 and it's perfect for my usual usage.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Question is what sort of foam & thickness is on the inside of the "yoti." Also I believe the interlock between the lid and the base are very important to retain ice in the cooler. Here's a video showing the difference of a cross section between a yeti and a mule:
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHUJmfipkoY

Here's a video comparing a yeti to a ozark trail (in case you were wondering; NSFW):
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVYisJefD0s

Sometimes you can get a good deal with Chinese knockoffs although you can forget about any type of warranty support. Yeti's come with a 3/5 year warranty depending upon the model you purchase.

smithmal
                        smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
                        Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                          I would def be in if we did a group buy. I will have to check out the sizes. They'd come in handy even if just to hold ice/fish for our jbay trip. I think the one I use, the red/white igloo, is a 40 or 46 and it's perfect for my usual usage.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                          I'd be down for a group buy as well. let us know if the seller is willing to do something like this.

Comment

If I read the specs right the 45 QT cooler is 11.5 KG, almost 25 pounds. That’s a lot of weight to haul around, without ice.
                            Mike
                            Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

I have a few responses back and now I'm working through the shipping details. Most of these companies do not arrange shipping (Ex Works), so I need to figure that out on my own. To make this worth it, I'll probably need to buy at least 10 coolers, and the more the better.

Currently prices range from $56-100 for 35-45L coolers, and $65-150 for 75-100L coolers. The ones I like are below:

20L look like this
                              Rotomolded-coolers-made-in-China-from-KUER (2).jpg

All others like this. With or without wheels

Rotomolded-coolers-made-in-China-from-KUER (1).jpg

Rotomolded-coolers-made-in-China-from-KUER.jpg

They can make them any color including mixed colors.

HTB1a8AhPVXXXXc0XFXX760XFXXX1.jpg

If you guys really want to do this, I'll need firm commitments with money. It could take several weeks after we place an order actually get them.
                              2015 Hobie Outback
                              2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

Working...
                              X