winter glove recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter glove recommendations

I searched the forum and all the glove talk I found was warm weather gloves. Does anybody have recommendations for winter kayaking gloves?
    I went out yesterday and I has to keep my hands in the water to warm up... not the best option when trying to fish.

I have tried these out including this morning. They work well. Hands are NOT toasty, but warm and you can switch back and forth with the flip-Mitt.

https://www.amazon.com/Glacier-Glove...70_&dpSrc=srch

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Originally posted by Yak67 View Post
      I have tried these out including this morning. They work well. Hands are NOT toasty, but warm and you can switch back and forth with the flip-Mitt.

https://www.amazon.com/Glacier-Glove...70_&dpSrc=srch

Yak67
      2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
      2016 Hobie Outback LE#217
      I use those too.Brought them last year after buying other that just didn't workout for me.I keep hot hands in the mitten part.Keep my hands toasty.
      2012 hobie outback
      2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

These worked great today. NeoSport Wetsuits Premium Neoprene 3mm Five Finger Glove, Black, Large - Diving, Snorkeling & Waterskiing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EULPY0?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

When I am on my kayak in cold weather, I use gloves of different types depending on the activity. If I am trolling in a pedal kayak, I can wear NRS neoprene gloves. If I am casting for pickerel using ultralight tackle, the gloves are too stiff. I used to just take them off completely while fishing, then put the gloves back on for the trip back to the ramp. Now I wear lightweight sun gloves (basically fly fishing gloves) year round (Cabelas or Buff brand). I can still cast with them, and they provide some warmth while paddling on all but the coldest days.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by Jesserkirk View Post
            These worked great today. NeoSport Wetsuits Premium Neoprene 3mm Five Finger Glove, Black, Large - Diving, Snorkeling & Waterskiing https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EULPY0?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Thank you for the recommendation, I was looking at these as well as the mares 5mm dive gloves for some extra warmth, I just dont know if I can handle bait and hooks without taking full finger gloves off.

Comment

Unicorns, mermaids and warm winter fishing gloves, your pick.
              I don’t yak too much right now, but i do a ton of surf fishing up north, constantly getting soaked. I have found the only way to keep your hands warm is to catch fish, it kinda keeps your mind off of it. I’ve tried Stormr, NRS, Glacier and a few others with no luck. I’m currently using fingerless Glacier windblocks, over a pair of cheap skin tight Gorilla gloves you pick up at Home Depot for a couple bucks. Not a bad combo, but far from perfect, but I can still tie knots and change lures if I need to, unlike most warm gloves. I’ve tried the fingerless mitten flipper types, but I was always blown away how many times I got hung up on the mitten part when tying knots and changing lures, very frustrating during a blitz. Remember, if do go the neoprene route, you gotta a stick your hand in the water for them to work, but I always found them way too bulky, even the ones with the cut tip. One thing I do on the boat, not sure if it would work on the yak, is I have Grundens Brigg jacket that has no pockets, so underneath I wear a quarterback’s muffler. I know it sounds goofy, but man does it keep my hands warm in a pinch. I am sure they make a waterproof hunters version that would be great for trolling on a yak.
              Last edited by summersoff; 11-13-2017, 05:45 AM.
              Jay

10' Green Slayer
              13’ Red Slayer

Comment

I also use the Glacier Gloves and concur that, while not toasty, they provide enough protection to fish all year. I opt for the Full Fingered Pro Angler version vs the flip mitt. These have a slit in the thumb and forefinger that allow dexterity when needed but better protection when you don't.

https://www.amazon.com/Glacier-Glove...ove+pro+angler

I would also add that I have very large hands and these are one of the few styles that fit me
                Bruce

Hobie PA 14
                Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  When I am on my kayak in cold weather, I use gloves of different types depending on the activity. If I am trolling in a pedal kayak, I can wear NRS neoprene gloves. If I am casting for pickerel using ultralight tackle, the gloves are too stiff. I used to just take them off completely while fishing, then put the gloves back on for the trip back to the ramp. Now I wear lightweight sun gloves (basically fly fishing gloves) year round (Cabelas or Buff brand). I can still cast with them, and they provide some warmth while paddling on all but the coldest days.
                  Like John, I have tried several types of gloves including fingerless gloves, but the ones I always bring is the light weight runners gloves by Nike...they are thin enough for casting and provide enough protection for all but the coldest days- plus they dry quickly
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
                    I opt for the Full Fingered Pro Angler version vs the flip mitt. These have a slit in the thumb and forefinger that allow dexterity when needed but better protection when you don't.
                    x2 on this style of gloves. I have the bass pro version which covers most needs. Ill occasionally throw in a hand warmer in the palm of the glove.
                    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
                    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

I have a few I've tried but go back to my old 5mm wetsuit gloves I modified for cold weather fishing. I cut the index and thumb about half way so I could flip them over when needing their use but slide them back on again for warmth. That work's well for my purpose.

Comment

Working...
                      X