Run and gun in a kayak! 11/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run and gun in a kayak! 11/11

Launched out of Deale around 3:30 today. Trolled around looking for a stack of fish around structure in 13-15’ of water at my normal haunts. It was fairly quiet on the fish finder. So I turned the kayak out towards deeper water and saw what was the largest flock of feeding birds that I’ve seen in awhile. It was about 20 minutes before sunset and the birds were about a 10 minute paddle away. I thought about it for a moment, thanked myself for getting the flag with the light on it so I could stay out after dark without getting hit by a boat and went for it. Before I even got to the flock, the fishfinder lit up like a christmas tree. Fish were stacked up on top of each other in 20’ of water. Moments later, the first rod went down. After a nice fight, i pulled in the first of 2 football stripers (24” each). I stopped and casted into the fray and caught the second. This one fought like a linebacker. Drag spun off the reel for several runs. I thought I had caught my personal best as it took a good while to get the fish to where I could see him. I finally tired him out and got him in the boat. Moments later the sun was gone, and the birds took off for the horizon.

Nippy but nice day out on the bay.

D4CC632E-6428-4644-A68F-26E53635D2B5.jpg
    Native Titan Propel 12
    Humminbird Helix 7 MEGA DI/SI

Solo Skiff
    Mercury 6hp
    Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Nice job. I found a 23" fatty like that in the Severn last week. I guess they are fattening up for the winter.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nicely done bud!
      Bruce

Hobie PA 14
      Wilderness System, Thresher 155

Comment

Originally posted by EMSer View Post
        Nicely done bud!
        EMSer, when are we going to hunt our local waters together?
        Native Titan Propel 12

Solo Skiff
        Mercury 6hp
        Minn Kota Riptide Powerdrive w/ Spot-Lock

Comment

Working...
        X