Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone getting on the fish?

I agree Mark...but there are always a few willing fish- finding them requires lots of patience and perseverance...good tools help- love my Hummingbird side scan feature for searching lots of areas...but when you see marks on the screen..are they croakers and white perch or are they blue catfish or stripers? Bill and I found a school of big fish just off the bottom in the St. Clements Island channel Sunday right at high tide- he bounced jigs off the bottom and I trolled a deep diver Crystal Minnow...we caught one 18 inch striper...it took a couple of hours covering more than six miles (logged on our GPS) before the lock jaw wore off and they started hitting paddletails thrown to breakers...they never did hit top water poppers...and they were all schoolies
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

I was down at Janes Island this past week. Monday I caught five stripers 18-22" I would have caught more but a damn boat from PA saw me and came flying in with its loud ass motor and scattered the school I was on. Tuesday I caught 3 17-19" before I turtled my yak trying to save a rod that was coming out of my holder on a hard strike. Lost some serious gear on that one. Wednesday I got skunked, Thursday I caught 6 stripers 18-20" And Friday I packed up and came home early. The winds picked up 20+ and Yesterday and today was predicted up to 30 so it wasn't worth staying.
    Sun Camo Feel Free Lure 13.5
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti w/Totalscan
    B & C Power Yaks transom mount
    Minn Kota 55 Riptide

Oldbayrunner you have to be stealthy. The other day I got 5or 6 fish including a 30" with a boat nearby. I kept my rod low to the water facing away from them. They never knew.

Well when the fish has you spun around facing towards them coming up on you an your rod is bent like hell an they see you hauling in a 22" fish keeping the rod low ain't gonna help...lol. All they did was haul ass up on me. This was on the Yellow trail there isn't a lot of room to be stealthy.
    Sun Camo Feel Free Lure 13.5
    Lowrance Elite 7 ti w/Totalscan
    B & C Power Yaks transom mount
    Minn Kota 55 Riptide

Mike O I think the boats are now treating the kayaks like Birds busting top-water bait fish. "If you see a Kayak follow it or go to it"

I had the pleasure of a glitter boat following me around two times out recently on the Severn. I had a good laugh, I told "Big Mike about it and he laughed and said "If they Only Knew"

Following the lost patrol (Me) ain't going to cut it.

Yak67
    2017 Hobie PA-12 camo
    2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

At least you are getting some action. Sorry to hear about the lost tackle.