Anyone getting on the fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone getting on the fish?

Anybody finding the stripers with this change in weather?
    Michael
    Washington, DC
    Hobie Outback

30 or so 12 inchers today....that equals, what? say 18 keepers?
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Yesterday was tough. My friend and I fished in his center console from the Chester river down to deale. We got 1-27" , 2- 21" and a couple shorts. Hopefully the warmer weather will have them biting again.

Comment

Yesterday, Sunday, I caught a bunch of 16 inch fish...and one 18 inch fish that was fat as a football that I actually measured...he fought like a keeper...but no keepers...and we fished a new spot we have not fished this year so, that might have had as much to do with no keepers as anything...Heron Island Bar...
        Last edited by ronaultmtd; 11-13-2017, 10:35 AM.
        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Smallwood has been dead for several weeks now, only a few fish in my last three outings.
          2015 Hobie Outback
          2001 Dagger Cayman

John

Comment

The Severn was not friendly to four of us who fished this morning out of Jonas Green. No bites -- and we all fished in different sections of the river.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Went out yesterday near Chesapeake Beach and we caught a lot of smalls, biggest was 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Went out of ST Inigoes in the "Slower-Lower" and got 4-Carbon copy 14 inchers, that was it!

Yak67
                2017 Hobie PA-12 Camo
                2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

The replies in this thread show us that no matter our skill level, the fish are in control.

It's hard to catch them when they're not there or willing.

I was one of the 4 experienced kayak anglers blanked in the Severn yesterday. I trolled and threw topwater for stripers. And I continued my unsuccessful Severn pickerel search.
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                  Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

We picked off a few nice fish Sunday morning in the upper bay. These were the only two that I caught and the other guys only caught a couple each as well. At least they were good quality. Marked many fish, but just could not figure out a pattern that they really wanted consistently. Smaller one was caught in about 12' trolling a deep diving crystal minnow and the bigger one casting/jigging a ledge from 8-12'. To make things even stranger, the bigger one was full of bluegills and we were not far from the mainstem of the bay.

23472174_10103953476837705_3475224272765446459_n.jpg
                    23551278_10103953731786785_7913090044952959674_o.jpg
                    Ryan
                    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I agree Mark...but there are always a few willing fish- finding them requires lots of patience and perseverance...good tools help- love my Hummingbird side scan feature for searching lots of areas...but when you see marks on the screen..are they croakers and white perch or are they blue catfish or stripers? Bill and I found a school of big fish just off the bottom in the St. Clements Island channel Sunday right at high tide- he bounced jigs off the bottom and I trolled a deep diver Crystal Minnow...we caught one 18 inch striper...it took a couple of hours covering more than six miles (logged on our GPS) before the lock jaw wore off and they started hitting paddletails thrown to breakers...they never did hit top water poppers...and they were all schoolies
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I was down at Janes Island this past week. Monday I caught five stripers 18-22" I would have caught more but a damn boat from PA saw me and came flying in with its loud ass motor and scattered the school I was on. Tuesday I caught 3 17-19" before I turtled my yak trying to save a rod that was coming out of my holder on a hard strike. Lost some serious gear on that one. Wednesday I got skunked, Thursday I caught 6 stripers 18-20" And Friday I packed up and came home early. The winds picked up 20+ and Yesterday and today was predicted up to 30 so it wasn't worth staying.

Comment

Oldbayrunner you have to be stealthy. The other day I got 5or 6 fish including a 30" with a boat nearby. I kept my rod low to the water facing away from them. They never knew.

Comment

Well when the fish has you spun around facing towards them coming up on you an your rod is bent like hell an they see you hauling in a 22" fish keeping the rod low ain't gonna help...lol. All they did was haul ass up on me. This was on the Yellow trail there isn't a lot of room to be stealthy.

Comment

Mike O I think the boats are now treating the kayaks like Birds busting top-water bait fish. "If you see a Kayak follow it or go to it"

I had the pleasure of a glitter boat following me around two times out recently on the Severn. I had a good laugh, I told "Big Mike about it and he laughed and said "If they Only Knew"

Following the lost patrol (Me) ain't going to cut it.

Yak67
                              2017 Hobie PA-12 camo
                              2016 Hobie Outback LE#217

Comment

Working...
                              X