Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sailfish.

Default Sailfish.

I would like a spot on the leaderboard for sailfish, but I forget where that thread is. See below.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Congrats Pat,

I fished with those guys about 3-4 years ago before their guide thing really took off. I had my bait taken by a sail, but didn't come tight. A minute later Matt Eckert hooked up with a solid sail that probably took my bait. oh well it was still a blast fishing with them and seeing one caught in person. I caught a king mackerel and a few other fish jigging.
    Matt (Formerly CB Kayak 02 "Over 3,000 Posts")
    JigtheBay.com Owner

Hobie Outback 2015
    Hobie Revolution 11' 2016
    Sea Hunt Triton 202

Impressive catch.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

Impressive indeed.

I would have cut my line.

That sword looks deadly.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

Big congrats !

Awesome fish! You owe us the story on it later

The fight lasted just under an hour. It was filled with long screaming runs, many leaps, a tow for about 25 mins so fast that the guide had trouble keeping up, and finally just holding deep for the last 15 minutes. They eventually get tired (I was exhausted myself) and allow themselves to be pulled to the top. It was overall an incredible experience, and I also caught some decent size Spanish mackerel (gulp and 1/4oz jigs never fail), a large cero mackerel, and a nice king mackerel as well. The other group that went out with the other guide caught some huge Kings, one was 40 lbs. I highly recommend Deep Blue charters, 200 miles one way drive from Orlando was absolutely worth it. The thought of the great trip was all that kept me sane last night as the airport, as I stood in the security line for 2.5 hours, only to see my flight eventually cancelled. But I'm back in MD now and that's what matters.

Cool fish and neat so see a sailfish on the record board here.
    Just out of curiosity, do fish like that survive being caught? I'm honestly not being critical. Just trying to get better educated about if fish in those types of situations end up surviving the traumatic experience of a long fight and landing from a kayak?

Absolutely. After the picture is taken, I handed the fish to the guide and he pedals along with it for a good 10 minutes until it's fully revived. You can see it gaining it's strength back as we were holding it as well. It's tail slowly starts to move, faster and faster until it's hard to hold on to the fish, and then you let go, it breaks away and speeds off.

That would be a forever cherished photograph in my book!!
    Harlan

Revo 13
    Trident 13
    Cuda 14
    Necky Tandem