Sailfish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailfish.

I would like a spot on the leaderboard for sailfish, but I forget where that thread is. See below.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Congrats Pat,

I fished with those guys about 3-4 years ago before their guide thing really took off. I had my bait taken by a sail, but didn't come tight. A minute later Matt Eckert hooked up with a solid sail that probably took my bait. oh well it was still a blast fishing with them and seeing one caught in person. I caught a king mackerel and a few other fish jigging.
    Matt (Formerly CB Kayak 02 "Over 3,000 Posts")
    CCA Annapolis Chapter President

Hobie Outback 2015

Comment

Impressive catch.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Impressive indeed.

I would have cut my line.

That sword looks deadly.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Big congrats !

Comment

Awesome fish! You owe us the story on it later
            Brian

Comment

The fight lasted just under an hour. It was filled with long screaming runs, many leaps, a tow for about 25 mins so fast that the guide had trouble keeping up, and finally just holding deep for the last 15 minutes. They eventually get tired (I was exhausted myself) and allow themselves to be pulled to the top. It was overall an incredible experience, and I also caught some decent size Spanish mackerel (gulp and 1/4oz jigs never fail), a large cero mackerel, and a nice king mackerel as well. The other group that went out with the other guide caught some huge Kings, one was 40 lbs. I highly recommend Deep Blue charters, 200 miles one way drive from Orlando was absolutely worth it. The thought of the great trip was all that kept me sane last night as the airport, as I stood in the security line for 2.5 hours, only to see my flight eventually cancelled. But I'm back in MD now and that's what matters.

Comment

Cool fish and neat so see a sailfish on the record board here.
                Just out of curiosity, do fish like that survive being caught? I'm honestly not being critical. Just trying to get better educated about if fish in those types of situations end up surviving the traumatic experience of a long fight and landing from a kayak?

Comment

Absolutely. After the picture is taken, I handed the fish to the guide and he pedals along with it for a good 10 minutes until it's fully revived. You can see it gaining it's strength back as we were holding it as well. It's tail slowly starts to move, faster and faster until it's hard to hold on to the fish, and then you let go, it breaks away and speeds off.

Comment

That would be a forever cherished photograph in my book!!
                    Harlan

Revo 13
                    Trident 13
                    Cuda 14
                    Necky Tandem

Comment

The leaderboard thread is currently pinned in the Maryland forum. It actually would probably be better to have started it in the main forum but Im not sure if its possible to transfer it at this point.
                      Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

awesome catch! did you fly down specifically for this guided trip?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                          awesome catch! did you fly down specifically for this guided trip?
                          Nope I was in FL for 6 weeks helping out with disaster recovery work and finally got a day off. My flight wasn't until late that night so I drove the 3 hrs early in the morning from my hotel in Orlando down to Delray. Worth every second.

Comment

can you give an estimate of trip cost for this if you don't want to I understand but I would be very interested. if you want to you can also just private message me some details no biggie if not, thanks.

Originally posted by yakscientist View Post
                            The fight lasted just under an hour. It was filled with long screaming runs, many leaps, a tow for about 25 mins so fast that the guide had trouble keeping up, and finally just holding deep for the last 15 minutes. They eventually get tired (I was exhausted myself) and allow themselves to be pulled to the top. It was overall an incredible experience, and I also caught some decent size Spanish mackerel (gulp and 1/4oz jigs never fail), a large cero mackerel, and a nice king mackerel as well. The other group that went out with the other guide caught some huge Kings, one was 40 lbs. I highly recommend Deep Blue charters, 200 miles one way drive from Orlando was absolutely worth it. The thought of the great trip was all that kept me sane last night as the airport, as I stood in the security line for 2.5 hours, only to see my flight eventually cancelled. But I'm back in MD now and that's what matters.

2016 Hobie Mirage Outback Olive
                            LOWRANCE Hook7

Comment

Sent you a PM. Bottom line it was 300 (plus tip)

Comment

Working...
                              X