Severn River fishing talk - Nov 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severn River fishing talk - Nov 21

I am the guest speaker for the Severn River Association's (SRA's) November meeting on Tues Nov 21. The meeting begins at 7:00 at Union Jacks pub (next to ALL Tackle in Annapolis), but you can come early to take advantage of happy hour specials. My talk is "Fishing the Severn River in Fall and Winter". The Severn River offers fishing opportunities all year long. Many people fish throughout the fall months, but only a few diehards continue to fish during the winter months. This talk describes the changes that take place in the river and its tidal creeks and ponds during the fall and winter months. It covers the ways in which I fish in the river during those times of year. The talk reviews fishing methods, target species, general locations, and protective clothing when fishing from a kayak in cold weather.

I plan to show aerial photos of many of the tidal creeks where I fish. I rarely post specific location on public chat boards, but may be willing to point to some spots during the presentation to those who are in the room. Nearly all of my fishing in the Severn is done in my kayaks, so the focus of fishing methods is techniques I use in the kayak.

SRA is not a fishing group -- rather it is a conservation group focused on the Severn. For the past year I have written on-the-water reports of fishing and other observations on the SRA Facebook page.

Anyone is welcome to attend their meetings. I hope to see some Snaggedline members at the meeting.
    Last edited by J.A. Veil; 11-09-2017, 02:37 PM.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

I'll be there with bells on.
    Harlan

Revo 13
    Trident 13
    Cuda 14
    Necky Tandem

Comment

I will be there

Comment

John - Thanks for the post. As a new snagged liner that is now living and fishing in this area I plan to be there!
        WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

As a reminder, the talk on Fall and Winter Fishing in the Severn River is tonight at 7:00 at Union Jack's Pub, 2072 Somerville Rd, Annapolis, MD. The meeting begins at 7:00, but come early to enjoy half priced burgers and happy hour beverages.
          John Veil
          Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

John: Excellent information and a GREAT turnout! Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge of the fishing Severn and for your time and effort. Greatly enjoyed it.
            WOOD DUCK 12

Comment

I'm glad I got there early!... Thanks for sharing, very entertaining.
              Harlan

Revo 13
              Trident 13
              Cuda 14
              Necky Tandem

Comment

Fantastic crowd and great presentation.

Thank you, John.
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for the good words guys. I enjoyed preparing the talk and had fun presenting in front of a packed crowd last night. Apparently the Severn River Association hired a professional videographer to film the entire talk. The video is supposed to be posted on the SRA website eventually.

I am willing to email the presentation (~4 Mb file size) to anyone who is interested. If you want a copy, send me a note at john@veilenvironmental.com.
                  John Veil
                  Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                  X