Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tog, Redfish, Speck, & Black Drum at CBBT & Rudee, VA (Nov 2, 2017)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tog, Redfish, Speck, & Black Drum at CBBT & Rudee, VA (Nov 2, 2017)

I don’t live in Virginia Beach, VA. But I love the area. In November, I can catch both cold and warm water fish here.

My wife wanted 3 species for her friends, tautog, redfish, and speck. For a mighty husband, 3 species on one day is not a problem in Virginia Beach.

I expected 3-4 keeper redfish, 1 keeper tautog, and 2-3 black drum at CBBT. I caught only 1 keeper redfish, 1 keeper tautog (out of 7). I caught only 1 black drum, and only 3 oyster toad fish. Of course I caught 3 conger eel. I ran out of fresh shrimp (my main bait) mainly because of small black sea bass. I caught over 20 black sea bass.

I stopped by Rudee on the way back home to catch a speck. Several anglers told me that it had been very slow (both Rudee and Lynnhaven) that day. So I had be very focused for 1 keeper speck. Anyway, I couldn’t land 2 nice size speck, but landed a smaller keeper speck.

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

You got take-home! I just got toads and BSBs at CBBT. Might try for specks next weekend at some other location.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
      You got take-home! I just got toads and BSBs at CBBT. Might try for specks next weekend at some other location.
      Bring both tog and speck tackle next time. I am trying to fish Veterans Day weekend.
      If we fish together, I will have enough shrimp and trout lures. We will catch Tog, Puppy and Speck

Joe
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

joe...great report

btw....was just checking out vids of us catching puppies at plo in 2012....thanks for keeping your vids going! They are such an encouragement!
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Am getting the urge to fish for specks and p-drums. Rudee, Nasmond River, Lynnhaven and probably other places.

BTW, did you give any eels to your neighbors? I heard congers are good table fare. I wouldn't mind trying it someday.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
            joe...great report

btw....was just checking out vids of us catching puppies at plo in 2012....thanks for keeping your vids going! They are such an encouragement!
            Kevin,
            I've been trying to make video fishing log/report. Not just "I caught fish". I don't put an AD on my video first of all. I try to put rig, bait, water temp for future reference.

Thanks
            Joe

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
              Am getting the urge to fish for specks and p-drums. Rudee, Nasmond River, Lynnhaven and probably other places.

BTW, did you give any eels to your neighbors? I heard congers are good table fare. I wouldn't mind trying it someday.
              I just can't eat fish with no scale (catfish toadfish, and eel). I brought blue cat to my friends because they love blue cat under 20 inches. I catch conger eel on shrimp all the time at CHSP and CBBT. It looks a conger eel is all meat.

Joe

Comment

Are we talking about Friday or the weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by HokieDJ View Post
                  Are we talking about Friday or the weekend?
                  Friday for me

Joe

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                    Friday for me

Joe
                    What time will you guys be there? and where do you launch?
                    I was thinking of heading down from DC to fish the concrete ships at kiptopeke, but I have wanted to fish the bridge tunnel also, this would be a first for me.

Comment

Originally posted by mrggfep View Post
                      What time will you guys be there? and where do you launch?
                      I was thinking of heading down from DC to fish the concrete ships at kiptopeke, but I have wanted to fish the bridge tunnel also, this would be a first for me.
                      Usually we launch at 7AM - meaning we arrive there 6:15 AM. It all depends on wind. the backup can be Kipto depending on the wind direction.
                      If I fish alone on Friday, my CBBT actual fishing window will be 8:30AM - 1 PM (Outgoing current, 10:30 AM (slack), incoming current) . My favorite time (incoming-slack-outgoing) starts at around 4:30 PM -which is too late.

After CBBT I will fish Rudee from 4:00 PM. (1 hour to come back to beach, 30 minutes for loading, 30 minutes for driving to Rudee, 30 minutes for unloading)

But everything is depending on the wind speed and its direction
                      Joe

Comment

I can go Fri, but the CBBT forecast is not good. With 20 kts winds and 3-4 ft waves, launch and fishing will not be fun. Right now there is a small craft advisory. I'm thinking Rudee.

Comment

CBBT on Friday: No. No with the strong NW, N, NE, E, and SE wind. Not recommended in the fall and winter when wind blows over 13 MPH. W, SE, and S wind isn't that bad.

Kipto on Friday: May be. Strong N wind. Slack at around 10:00AM - becomes incoming tide. the opposite directions of the wind and current may work or make the worst condition for togging.
                          With N or NW wind we may be able to fish on the beach side of the ships only. But there will be huge roller from the middle of the Bay. I got flipped twice because of the huge rollers.
                          With NE wind, Kipto is usually OK. We need to see the wind forecast tomorrow night.

Rudee: wind , lightening, snow, rain don't matter. very protected.

Lynnhaven: Strong wind will make fishing difficult. I would bring an anchor. If you launch from the boat ramp in First Landing State Park (pay parking fee and launch) that place is well protected. That water produced a lot of trout this fall.

Trout and Puppy Drum in Rudee and Lynnhaven:
                          To me they are transient. They, especially trout, come in and leave the creeks at any time. Sometimes they stay for 8 hours. But usually they stay 2-3 hours. The key is finding them and staying with them during their stay.

I can fish Thursday and Friday only. So I will fish on Thursday and Friday no matter what. I will carry two sets of tackles. Anyway, if you are fishing one day this coming weekend, pick the day with the moderate wind. Though, on Sat and Sunday, Rudee (water) and Lynnhaven (parking lot) can be very crowded.

Joe
                          Last edited by ComeOnFish; 11-08-2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

I have never gone fishing specifically for (saltwater)trout, what bait or type of lure is recommended?( trolling or jigging?)
                            Sounds like Friday will be a fish where ever its safe kind of day, Rudee Inlet sounds like the failsafe.
                            Last edited by mrggfep; 11-08-2017, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X