Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tog, Redfish, Speck, & Black Drum at CBBT & Rudee, VA (Nov 2, 2017)

Default Tog, Redfish, Speck, & Black Drum at CBBT & Rudee, VA (Nov 2, 2017)

I donít live in Virginia Beach, VA. But I love the area. In November, I can catch both cold and warm water fish here.

My wife wanted 3 species for her friends, tautog, redfish, and speck. For a mighty husband, 3 species on one day is not a problem in Virginia Beach.

I expected 3-4 keeper redfish, 1 keeper tautog, and 2-3 black drum at CBBT. I caught only 1 keeper redfish, 1 keeper tautog (out of 7). I caught only 1 black drum, and only 3 oyster toad fish. Of course I caught 3 conger eel. I ran out of fresh shrimp (my main bait) mainly because of small black sea bass. I caught over 20 black sea bass.

I stopped by Rudee on the way back home to catch a speck. Several anglers told me that it had been very slow (both Rudee and Lynnhaven) that day. So I had be very focused for 1 keeper speck. Anyway, I couldnít land 2 nice size speck, but landed a smaller keeper speck.

Fishing Log:

Thanks
    Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.

You got take-home! I just got toads and BSBs at CBBT. Might try for specks next weekend at some other location.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Quote Originally Posted by tufnik View Post
    You got take-home! I just got toads and BSBs at CBBT. Might try for specks next weekend at some other location.
    Bring both tog and speck tackle next time. I am trying to fish Veterans Day weekend.
    If we fish together, I will have enough shrimp and trout lures. We will catch Tog, Puppy and Speck

Joe

joe...great report

btw....was just checking out vids of us catching puppies at plo in 2012....thanks for keeping your vids going! They are such an encouragement!
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Am getting the urge to fish for specks and p-drums. Rudee, Nasmond River, Lynnhaven and probably other places.

BTW, did you give any eels to your neighbors? I heard congers are good table fare. I wouldn't mind trying it someday.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Quote Originally Posted by kevinfry View Post
    joe...great report

btw....was just checking out vids of us catching puppies at plo in 2012....thanks for keeping your vids going! They are such an encouragement!
    Kevin,
    I've been trying to make video fishing log/report. Not just "I caught fish". I don't put an AD on my video first of all. I try to put rig, bait, water temp for future reference.

Thanks
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by tufnik View Post
    Am getting the urge to fish for specks and p-drums. Rudee, Nasmond River, Lynnhaven and probably other places.

BTW, did you give any eels to your neighbors? I heard congers are good table fare. I wouldn't mind trying it someday.
    I just can't eat fish with no scale (catfish toadfish, and eel). I brought blue cat to my friends because they love blue cat under 20 inches. I catch conger eel on shrimp all the time at CHSP and CBBT. It looks a conger eel is all meat.

Joe

Are we talking about Friday or the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieDJ View Post
    Are we talking about Friday or the weekend?
    Friday for me

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnFish View Post
    Friday for me

Joe
    What time will you guys be there? and where do you launch?
    I was thinking of heading down from DC to fish the concrete ships at kiptopeke, but I have wanted to fish the bridge tunnel also, this would be a first for me.