Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best track system to add to a yak? What would you choose and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best track system to add to a yak? What would you choose and why?

I'd like to add some track systems to my OT Twin Heron.

Unlike most yaks, there is no molded inset to put the track into so I guess I'll just have to deal.

From what I've seen, all of the following track systems are available on AKC:
    • Scotty Low Profile Track
    • Yak Attack Gear Trac
    • Yak Attack Gear Trac (Gen 2)
    • Yak Attack Gear Trac GTTL90 (narrow foot)
    • Yak Attack Gear Trac GTSL90 (poly track)
    • Yak Attack Gear Trac GTTL175 (wide foot)
    • Yak Gear Mounting Plastic Track
    • Wilderness Systems SlideTrax
    • YakAttack Mounting Plate with Gear Trac for Predator and Big Game II
    • Liquid Logic Groove Kit for VersaBoard
    • Native Groove Kit

Are there any others or after market kits you would suggest (this as an example)?

I'd like whichever system I choose to be compatible with the Native Groove Track system so I can swap accessories from one yak to the other.

smithmal
    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
    Yak Attack Gear Trac (Gen 2)
    This is what I prefer. While I originally purchased it because I don't have ready access to the inside of my yak for backing plates and bolts, I now prefer it because of the wide base. The screws on either side distribute the weight across both sides of the track as opposed to other options where the track is secured with a single line of screws down the middle. I imagine over time, the flexing of that single line of screws could lead to cracks or excessive wear.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Thanks for the response and that makes sense. I do have access to the underside though so I'm wondering if purchasing the tracks that come with backing plates (or just making my own) would provide more structural stability....

From what I've read, the Gear Track GTTL175 is supposed to be very heavy duty and it uses two lines of screws to bolt it down. Anyone using the GTTL175 and have any thoughts about it?

smithmal
      smithmal

Comment

get thick plastic cutting board for the backing. it's cheaper. Stainless steel nut, bolt, and washer makes it stronger as well. or just do both (that's what I did). Just make sure to use good stainless steel hardware, they're more pricey but hold up a lot better.

also I never knew companies started making so many track systems now. I have the Yak Attack Gear Trac and gt90. both are strong, although I'd prefer the thickness and stability of the thicker ones too (like the original gear trac, gttl175, etc). As nhunter said about the inline ones, I've noticed the plastic around the trac flex a lot more although they are still pretty strong.

I also have a couple yakattack plastic ones i plan on using for cameras and accessories.

Comment

Originally posted by kuljc View Post
          get thick plastic cutting board for the backing. it's cheaper. Stainless steel nut, bolt, and washer makes it stronger as well. or just do both (that's what I did). Just make sure to use good stainless steel hardware, they're more pricey but hold up a lot better.

also I never knew companies started making so many track systems now. I have the Yak Attack Gear Trac and gt90. both are strong, although I'd prefer the thickness and stability of the thicker ones too (like the original gear trac, gttl175, etc). As nhunter said about the inline ones, I've noticed the plastic around the trac flex a lot more although they are still pretty strong.

I also have a couple yakattack plastic ones i plan on using for cameras and accessories.
          Thanks for your response. Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the GTTL175 as long as I have enough width on my side rails. Making a DIY backing plate with some 1/2" plastic cutting board like material makes sense as well especially if you were to land "the big one." I did something similar when I installed a Boonedox Landing Gear onto my U12.

smithmal
          smithmal

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
            Thanks for the response and that makes sense. I do have access to the underside though so I'm wondering if purchasing the tracks that come with backing plates (or just making my own) would provide more structural stability....

From what I've read, the Gear Track GTTL175 is supposed to be very heavy duty and it uses two lines of screws to bolt it down. Anyone using the GTTL175 and have any thoughts about it?

smithmal
            I have two 12" GTL175s on my Outback. They are built well and are heavy duty. The dealer I bought them from said backing plates weren't necessary. They are solid having the screws on both sides. I troll with Scotty rocket launchers in them and haven't had a problem. They work great for my needs.
            Last edited by TomyTek; 11-07-2017, 09:34 AM.
            Tommy
            2020 PA12 360 - 2019 and 2016 Hobie Outback
            Check Out My Fishing YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
            https://www.youtube.com/c/tomytekoutdoors

Comment

Working...
            X