Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
    im pretty into pickerel fishing. .
    Thanks Zach, Ive been a sub but dont think I have seen this one... You have a few pickerel videos, and some more recent if I remember correctly. But yea thanks, this will help as it is going to be cold in the am and it seems that this video was made in similar conditions. Maybe not this cold, but still cold.

Thanks!
    -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

im always available to go anytime im free .. i love this time of the year.. im trying to monitor the wind situation this weekend closely.. im leaning towards getting out somewhere
      Zach Moore
      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
      Bait Towel Pro Staff
      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

i love this time of the year..
        This is going to be tough, Winds expected to be 25mph, the high is going to be 41, so I'm going to be fishing in 35 degree weather most of the day. Probably not the way I would dream up the conditions but I only have tomorrow to go, and making the most out of it!!
        -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Good Luck, let us know how you do.

Comment

I love catching pickerel here in NJ Pine Barrens. I’ve only caught 2 big ones in my lifetime one was 28.5” the other was 27 inches. I caught them with a bladed lure the ones you would use to catch bass. Slow and steady and typically they will follow like torpedos and strike right along side of the kayak or the bank. Patience, it takes some patience. If you don’t catch them first try keep sending the lure back to the same spot. Chances are they will hit near the same spot. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

wow thise are some nice trophies!!
              -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Originally posted by BigRick View Post
                I have also noted the mass drop off in Pickerel population in the South River. 2015 - I must have caught 100+ up to 26" - then in 2016 I only caught 3 total largest was 14-15" 2017- haven't caught even 1. Idk what happened but I havent seen em, haven't caught any small ones in the cast nets either. I also saw a massive increase in pumpkin seed, which tells me the picks just aren't there right now.
                BigRick,

You've mentioned the third tidal tributary with an apparent pickerel population decline, the other two being the Magothy and the Severn.

I'm curious during your good years if you had ever caught picks in Church Creek? I've accessed that creek in past years by the kayak launch at Homeport Farm Park. The creek looked like great pickerel water but I had never caught one there.

Thanks,
                Mark
                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  BigRick,

You've mentioned the third tidal tributary with an apparent pickerel population decline, the other two being the Magothy and the Severn.

I'm curious during your good years if you had ever caught picks in Church Creek? I've accessed that creek in past years by the kayak launch at Homeport Farm Park. The creek looked like great pickerel water but I had never caught one there.

Thanks,
                  I would say yes last year was a very depressing year for pickerel in the South River. The tough part, much like the severn in the access to the creeks further up the river. 2015 was the first year I moved to live on the South and it was a stellar year. Biggest pickerel I've seen caught in tidal water over 26" caught in my creek with multiple other citations caught that winter of 2015. Last year not so much.
                  Matt (Formerly CB Kayak 02 "Over 3,000 Posts")
                  CCA Annapolis Chapter President

Hobie Outback 2015

Comment

Summarized report: SKUNKED

Details: Pulled into Weems around 9ish. There was a guy there getting ready to load his Hobie onto his truck, said he didn’t have any luck. He was targeting strippers either out on the main stem of the Severn or possibly the mouth of Weems. At this point the winds were steady, but not really heavy, and the sun was peaking in and out. Seemed perfect. Headed up stream in search of calm waters. Was throwing a shallow jerkbait at the banks and any logs/brush. This is my first time fishing in the fall like this and was kinda handicapped with my presentation, as the most ideal areas were filled with floating leaves. Caught a ton of those!! The wind started picking up and there were a few frequent bursts that kicked up waves. Switched to a drop shot and keyed in on the middle and deeper part of the Creek for some strippers. I don’t have a fish finder so not even sure if there were fish in the area. Last time I’m fishing without one. Tried targeting the pile-ons at the 2 bridges and nothing. No bites, no nibbles. The wind and wave intensity kept growing making it hard to do anything in my kayak. Called it quits...

Attached a pic in attempts to show how choppy it was by 12:30, but doesn’t really do much justice.

37658728534_6009965841_z.jpg
                    Last edited by TimHVids; 11-12-2017, 06:27 PM.
                    -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

I fixed a small creek on the Severn today and manage three Pickrell and one rockfish but it’s definitely looking like it’s going to be another down season is I really see no bait in the creek at all

Zach Moore
                      Bait Towel Pro Staff
                      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by TimHVids View Post

Details: Pulled into Weems around 9ish. There was a guy there getting ready to load his Hobie onto his truck, said he didn’t have any luck. He was targeting strippers either out on the main stem of the Severn or possibly the mouth of Weems. At this point the winds were steady, but not really heavy, and the sun was peaking in and out. Seemed perfect. Headed up stream in search of calm waters. Was throwing a shallow jerkbait at the banks and any logs/brush. This is my first time fishing in the fall like this and was kinda handicapped with my presentation, as the most ideal areas were filled with floating leaves. Caught a ton of those!! The wind started picking up and there were a few frequent bursts that kicked up waves. Switched to a drop shot and keyed in on the middle and deeper part of the Creek for some strippers. I don’t have a fish finder so not even sure if there were fish in the area. Last time I’m fishing without one. Tried targeting the pile-ons at the 2 bridges and nothing. No bites, no nibbles. The wind and wave intensity kept growing making it hard to do anything in my kayak. Called it quits...

Attached a pic in attempts to show how choppy it was by 12:30, but doesn’t really do much justice.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22604[/ATTACH]
                        Intrigued by the mention of a dropshot for stripers. Maybe I'm missing something but have never heard of anyone using that technique. You mean just like dropshotting for bass? If so, is it productive and what do you use for the lure?

Comment

Originally posted by DonV View Post
                          Intrigued by the mention of a dropshot for stripers. Maybe I'm missing something but have never heard of anyone using that technique. You mean just like dropshotting for bass? If so, is it productive and what do you use for the lure?
                          I was honestly drop shotting for ANYTHING. I used a small 2 inch worm. I have never caught striper before but assumed if they were in the area that they were passing in schools through the main creek channel and not the shallow banks. Not sure if this is correct thinking but there was no activity shallow, I didnt see anything. Water clarity was good as well with about 2 feet of visibility at least. I estimate the deepest part being 10 feet so I just really wanted to get close to the bottom with the drop shot and figured I would get something to bite the last resort worm. Noob angler so dont take my 'techniques' serious as I have NO IDEA lol. Im just learning and seeing what works.
                          -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

I fixed a small creek on the Severn today and manage three Pickrell and one rockfish but it’s definitely looking like it’s going to be another down season is I really see no bait in the creek at all

Nice! Further reiterating how bad I am lol, where were the pickerel?
                            -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Nice! Further reiterating how bad I am lol, where were the pickerel?
                              I’ve always caught my pickerel right up on the shore or just off it . Always holding structure . Or somewhere without structure distance .

Zach Moore
                              Bait Towel Pro Staff
                              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Details: Headed up stream in search of calm waters. Was throwing a shallow jerkbait at the banks and any logs/brush...
                                That's a nice photo.

You targeted the right areas for picks. I believe they simply are not present in Weems in numbers like they were prior to 2016.

You didn't mention the size of your jerkbait. I use relatively small baits for pickerel...1/8 oz. jigs with a 3 inch Mr. Twister and bucktail jig spinners, 1/8 oz. Rat-L-Traps (with in-line single hooks) and size 4 foam poppers and Clousers on a fly rod. A technique to try on your retrieve is to stop and allow the lure/fly to suspend or sink momentarily. Pickerel will often hit a bait when it stops moving.

It was windy the day you were out. I do not believe I have ever caught a pickerel where wind was rippling the surface of the water. They definitely prefer areas where the water surface is dead calm. But the good news about Weems and other Severn creeks is that you can usually find a sheltered area even on the windiest days.

Bridge pilings -- They hold white perch and small stripers in warmer water. I have never caught a pickerel near them. Perch especially like the shade of the pilings and bridge decks in the summer.

You do not need a fish finder for Weems or any Severn creek. None are deep. Fish the structure you see (and have already mentioned) or troll the edges and creek centers. Topwater in the very backs of the creeks and at the mouths of various coves may bring a striper strike in the fall.

You gave it a good effort. Give it another try.
                                Last edited by Mark; 11-13-2017, 07:22 AM.
                                Mark
                                Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                                Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                                Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X