No announcement yet.

Upcoming Pickerel Hunt on Vets Day: Noob angler seeking advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol, right. That's a brave 5 year old there, with his luck I wouldn't be surprised if he effortlessly pulled the hook out like a pro!
    -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Pickerel are pretty common in Loch Raven but you have to have a yearly permit to put a kayak in. I fish from shore in the winter. One morning last January I caught 6 pickerel and 4 Northern Pike. Also Shumaker pond near Salisbury used to be full of them But I haven't fished there in years.

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
        Pickerel are pretty common in Loch Raven but you have to have a yearly permit to put a kayak in. I fish from shore in the winter. One morning last January I caught 6 pickerel and 4 Northern Pike. Also Shumaker pond near Salisbury used to be full of them But I haven't fished there in years.
        Yea I see them pulled out of there pretty often, always from shore too.

Wow, didnt know that, wonder why its so strict? At least my local reservoirs like Rocky Gorge allow you to pay a day fee to put-in.

man, 6 and 4 pike? jeez, what a day!
        -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Originally posted by TimHVids View Post
          Yea I see them pulled out of there pretty often, always from shore too.

Wow, didnt know that, wonder why its so strict? At least my local reservoirs like Rocky Gorge allow you to pay a day fee to put-in.

man, 6 and 4 pike? jeez, what a day!
          They are trying to prevent the introduction of alien species into the reservoirs. Things like zebra mussels, etc. As I understand it it’s not just the annual permit but the boat can’t be used in any other body of water for that year.
          Mike
          Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
            They are trying to prevent the introduction of alien species into the reservoirs. Things like zebra mussels, etc. As I understand it it’s not just the annual permit but the boat can’t be used in any other body of water for that year.
            Ah, I can understand that... Respect.
            -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

TimH,

I was hoping advice from your IG friend would show up on this thread.

As others have said, Severn pickerels have been scarce for a year. I last caught a Severn pick in November of 2016.

Interestingly, a couple of Saturday mornings ago when I was driving to Delaware for a Free State Fly Fishing club pond outing, I was listening to the outdoor show on WCBM radio. Someone called in and said he had fished the Magothy for 40 years and pickerels have been particularly scarce there this year. The caller's story and my own lack of success with them in the Severn's tidal waters this year make me wonder if something has happened to their health. Has their been a die-off or a disease that has decreased their numbers in tidal waters? The host of the outdoor show said he would check with his DNR contacts. I wasn't in MD last weekend to hear the show so I do not know if the topic came up again.

But I do know that picks remain strong in many Eastern Shore ponds. In MD I think the two best are in Unicorn Lake and Smithville Lake. They not only have good populations of pickerels, the ones present are large.

If you do get after them this weekend, please let us know, especially if you are successful.

Good luck,
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I fished Loch Raven this afternoon for about 2 hours. Not much luck, I only got 1 a 22". I am starting my quest for a nice northern. I will post if I get one.pic.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post

Interestingly, a couple of Saturday mornings ago when I was driving to Delaware for a Free State Fly Fishing club pond outing, I was listening to the outdoor show on WCBM radio. Someone called in and said he had fished the Magothy for 40 years and pickerels have been particularly scarce there this year. The caller's story and my own lack of success with them in the Severn's tidal waters this year make me wonder if something has happened to their health. Has their been a die-off or a disease that has decreased their numbers in tidal waters? The host of the outdoor show said he would check with his DNR contacts. I wasn't in MD last weekend to hear the show so I do not know if the topic came up again.
                  Wow, that is interesting. I wonder what is going on? I will check out the outdoor show, thank you for plugging that!

If you do get after them this weekend, please let us know, especially if you are successful.

Good luck
                  Yea I am going to head out early tomorrow morning... its going to be a cold one and the first time launching they yak in cold temperatures so its going to be an adventure for me. Hopefully I get into something. If not maybe I can target some perch/crappie. But I havent been out fishing in months, so Ill take a bluegill to be honest...
                  -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Originally posted by mike o View Post
                    I fished Loch Raven this afternoon for about 2 hours. Not much luck, I only got 1 a 22". I am starting my quest for a nice northern. I will post if I get one.[ATTACH=CONFIG]22595[/ATTACH]
                    NIIICCE Mike, good stuff. There seem to be a good abundance in that reservoir, as I always see them caught out of there!
                    -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Now that I am thinking about it, I havent done my 'launch' homework yet. I don't even know where I can park...

my first and only kayak visit to Severn, I launched from Indian Landing Marina, which is waaayyyy up close to the 'Severn Run' portion of the river. I imagine the best places are more central to the river, around the sanctuary (shown on google maps)?
                      -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Originally posted by TimHVids View Post
                        Now that I am thinking about it, I havent done my 'launch' homework yet. I don't even know where I can park...

my first and only kayak visit to Severn, I launched from Indian Landing Marina, which is waaayyyy up close to the 'Severn Run' portion of the river. I imagine the best places are more central to the river, around the sanctuary (shown on google maps)?
                        Look up the Tucker Street Boat Ramp online or you can search it here on this forum. Plenty of reports have been filed about Tucker Street in this forum.

Here's a photo of the launch:

B.jpg

It's a popular entry point for kayakers onto Weems Creek. It's in a neighborhood and parking is limited. Obey parking signs. The neighbors have been very tolerant of us and we want to keep them that way!

Head left from the ramp and paddle to the quiet back areas of the creek. That's where the picks should be. If you head right from the ramp you'll head toward the mouth of the creek where it joins the Severn. From there you can reach other creeks and inlets on the Severn -- Cove of Cork, Luce Creek, Martins Pond to name a few.
                        Mark
                        Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
                        Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
                        Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

It's a popular entry point for kayakers onto Weems Creek. It's in a neighborhood and parking is limited. Obey parking signs. The neighbors have been very tolerant of us and we want to keep them that way!
                          Thanks alot Mark, I really appreciate it. I will be sure to obey signs and ask politely if I see anyone, I always like to make sure people know what Im doing and hate parking in front of peoples houses lol. I see an elementary school up the road and since school will be out, I may try there if I am able without restrictions. May even call them up now to make sure its ok.

Thanks again!
                          -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

I have also noted the mass drop off in Pickerel population in the South River. 2015 - I must have caught 100+ up to 26" - then in 2016 I only caught 3 total largest was 14-15" 2017- haven't caught even 1. Idk what happened but I havent seen em, haven't caught any small ones in the cast nets either. I also saw a massive increase in pumpkin seed, which tells me the picks just aren't there right now.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRick View Post
                              I have also noted the mass drop off in Pickerel population in the South River. 2015 - I must have caught 100+ up to 26" - then in 2016 I only caught 3 total largest was 14-15" 2017- haven't caught even 1. Idk what happened but I havent seen em, haven't caught any small ones in the cast nets either. I also saw a massive increase in pumpkin seed, which tells me the picks just aren't there right now.
                              Its really interesting how all of this happens. Thanks for the report Rick. Dont know why, but because of the typical length of this fish I imagined it comes straight out of its mother at a minimum of 7 inches lol. Cant imagine small, 2 inch pickerel in a cast net. Sounds like a very cool sight.
                              -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

im pretty into pickerel fishing. .

i have a few videos that could help out
                                Zach Moore
                                Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                                Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                                Bait Towel Pro Staff
                                2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                                YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
                                X