Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: Upcoming Pickerel Hunt on Vets Day: Noob angler seeking advice

  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clm View Post
    Caught my first and only pickerel there....
    Man so these things are pretty elusive in general..
    -TimH

    Perception Striker

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Waldorf
    Posts
    297

    Default

    I think I just don't normally fish in waters where they are common...it was fun to catch though. Some pickerel veterans may chime in with where and how to advice....
    Hobie Outback
    Ascend 12FST
    Pelican 100

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Clarksburg, MD
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimHVids View Post
    But for me, a pickerel is like the fish of 1,000 casts lol.
    As lucky as I have been finding their hiding spots, I have never actually caught one. It's magical. I'll be fishing with my 5yr old, then I hear "Dad, I'm snagged" or "Dad, my lines all tangled" where I then utter those magical words, "Here, hold my rod while I fix yours." 10 seconds later, bam, pickerel on. He probably has around 10 under his belt. His first pickerel was about 1/4in under the citation mark. Luckiest person I've ever been fishing with.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nhunter344 View Post
    As lucky as I have been finding their hiding spots, I have never actually caught one. It's magical. I'll be fishing with my 5yr old, then I hear "Dad, I'm snagged" or "Dad, my lines all tangled" where I then utter those magical words, "Here, hold my rod while I fix yours." 10 seconds later, bam, pickerel on. He probably has around 10 under his belt. His first pickerel was about 1/4in under the citation mark. Luckiest person I've ever been fishing with.
    WOW lol, how crazy is that? Care to ask him for any pointers? Hahaha

    Did he reel them in himself? If you have helped him then you should get half credit for each 'assist'.

    Stranger* "Have you caught a pickerel before?"
    nhunter* "Well... yyeaaaa, kinda."
    Last edited by TimHVids; 11-03-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    -TimH

    Perception Striker

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Clarksburg, MD
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Did everything himself. I only had to step in when he went to put his hand in its mouth to take the hook out.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna

  6. #16

    Default

    Lol, right. That's a brave 5 year old there, with his luck I wouldn't be surprised if he effortlessly pulled the hook out like a pro!
    -TimH

    Perception Striker

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Fallston
    Posts
    296

    Default

    Pickerel are pretty common in Loch Raven but you have to have a yearly permit to put a kayak in. I fish from shore in the winter. One morning last January I caught 6 pickerel and 4 Northern Pike. Also Shumaker pond near Salisbury used to be full of them But I haven't fished there in years.

  8. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mike o View Post
    Pickerel are pretty common in Loch Raven but you have to have a yearly permit to put a kayak in. I fish from shore in the winter. One morning last January I caught 6 pickerel and 4 Northern Pike. Also Shumaker pond near Salisbury used to be full of them But I haven't fished there in years.
    Yea I see them pulled out of there pretty often, always from shore too.

    Wow, didnt know that, wonder why its so strict? At least my local reservoirs like Rocky Gorge allow you to pay a day fee to put-in.

    man, 6 and 4 pike? jeez, what a day!
    -TimH

    Perception Striker

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    St Mary's County
    Posts
    831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TimHVids View Post
    Yea I see them pulled out of there pretty often, always from shore too.

    Wow, didnt know that, wonder why its so strict? At least my local reservoirs like Rocky Gorge allow you to pay a day fee to put-in.

    man, 6 and 4 pike? jeez, what a day!
    They are trying to prevent the introduction of alien species into the reservoirs. Things like zebra mussels, etc. As I understand it it’s not just the annual permit but the boat can’t be used in any other body of water for that year.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

  10. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    They are trying to prevent the introduction of alien species into the reservoirs. Things like zebra mussels, etc. As I understand it itís not just the annual permit but the boat canít be used in any other body of water for that year.
    Ah, I can understand that... Respect.
    -TimH

    Perception Striker

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •