X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Pickerel Hunt on Vets Day: Noob angler seeking advice

Hello all,

Its been a while....

So I am one of those guys that don't get out to fish often.

Veterans day is coming up (S/O to all of you) and I have already told the wife that I will be fishing that day. Im solely interested in pickerel. I have never caught one and really excited to possibly catch one, just need some pointers. Of course I am going to read up but wanted to get some 'in my experience' advice as well, nothing better than that... Im going to the Severn River as that is where I have seen recent catches by a guy I follow on IG.

I just saw Marks post on pickerel back in September and started to reply to that thread but decided to start another for anyone that wanted to lend a helping hand. I have only been to the upper upper severn, like close to severn run with less than 2 ft of water in the kayak, so not sure if I should stick to middle severn, lower severn, or in-between the two somewhere.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you
    -Yakcruisin
    -TimH

Perception Striker

I have no experience fishing for them on the Severn, but if you're looking for alternate locations I've had plenty of luck finding them in Tuckahoe Creek (Hillsboro) and Marshyhope Creek (Federalsburg). There are launches at both locations.
    "Fish on a Dish" - 2017 Jackson Big Tuna
    Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
      I have no experience fishing for them on the Severn, but if you're looking for alternate locations I've had plenty of luck finding them in Tuckahoe Creek (Hillsboro) and Marshyhope Creek (Federalsburg). There are launches at both locations.
      Ahh Tuckahoe & Marshyhope! I have only heard and seen these creeks watching Capt. Willie Dykes on WBOC's Youtube page! Im not too far, but just far enough to make going across the bay bridge a mini getaway. Although looking at the map Tuckahoe doesn't seem that bad. But even though I put my foot down and demanded the holiday to myself for fishing, Im sure I can only squeeze out a good 5 hours or so. So I may just stay local...
      -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Tim,

I am in no way an expert on pickerel but I have caught them in the Severn Ponds, Weems, Manresa and Shady lake. I have mostly used in-line spinners white and black or live minnows suspended below a bobber. Look for areas near the shoreline with fallen trees or logs you may even want to cast to a few docks. With all that said, I know Mark has been actively targeting pickerel most of the summer and while they are most active in the winter he hasn't had any success finding them in the normal Severn areas. I would definitely reach out to Mark or John Veil as they can give you much more information.
        Keith

2015 Sand Hobie Outback

2017 Orange Camo Vibe Sea Ghost 130

2015 Camo Ascend FS12T

Comment

Originally posted by Yakmac View Post
          Tim,

I am in no way an expert on pickerel but I have caught them in the Severn Ponds, Weems, Manresa and Shady lake. I have mostly used in-line spinners white and black or live minnows suspended below a bobber. Look for areas near the shoreline with fallen trees or logs you may even want to cast to a few docks. With all that said, I know Mark has been actively targeting pickerel most of the summer and while they are most active in the winter he hasn't had any success finding them in the normal Severn areas. I would definitely reach out to Mark or John Veil as they can give you much more information.
          Thank You Yakmac,

I appreciate the tips, will definitely add all to the arsenal.

Yea from looking at Marks post, that is exactly what he was targeting; shoreline with fallen trees/logs. The guy on IG that just caught a few also said that winter is the best time for them.
          -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Originally posted by Yakmac View Post
            Tim,

Pickerel were abundant in the Severn last year until the second week of November. Then they virtually disappeared. I fished for them in at least 10 Severn creeks during the rest of the winter and caught very few. I have not found any pickerel in the Severn over the summer -- I usually catch a few. Later this month I will begin targeting them in the Severn , but for now the striper bite is strong enough to get my attention.
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
              Pickerel were abundant in the Severn last year until the second week of November. Then they virtually disappeared. I fished for them in at least 10 Severn creeks during the rest of the winter and caught very few. I have not found any pickerel in the Severn over the summer -- I usually catch a few. Later this month I will begin targeting them in the Severn , but for now the striper bite is strong enough to get my attention.
              Thanks for the info,
              Interesting that they aren't there...you just wonder what happened to them? At least I do, one of the many reasons I decided to pursue a Fish and Wildlife science degree online at 31, taking up all my time, Lol. But that's interesting, the Severn is a pretty long stretch of river though. No shortage of places to hide.

I wouldn't mind a striper either, my biggest striper is probably 8 inches so that would be cool. But for me, a pickerel is like the fish of 1,000 casts lol. As terrible as I am at fishing, I can forget catching any of the other Esox genus fish, so I really want that pickerel on my resume.
              Last edited by TimHVids; 11-02-2017, 04:53 PM.
              -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

A little off the beaten path but St Mary’s Lake has a lot of pickerel and is a good option when winds make bigger water tough to fish. Just watch out for the standing trees that end just below the surface of the water.
                Mike
                Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

Comment

Whoa, yea that’s way down there, one day when I’m retired I’m going to try to hit up all of these spots!
                  -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
                    A little off the beaten path but St Mary’s Lake has a lot of pickerel and is a good option when winds make bigger water tough to fish. Just watch out for the standing trees that end just below the surface of the water.
                    Beautiful and calm, way down there....took the whole family with 3 yaks. Loved it. Caught my first and only pickerel there....
                    Hobie Outback
                    Stand Up Paddle Board
                    Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by clm View Post
                      Caught my first and only pickerel there....
                      Man so these things are pretty elusive in general..
                      -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

I think I just don't normally fish in waters where they are common...it was fun to catch though. Some pickerel veterans may chime in with where and how to advice....
                        Hobie Outback
                        Stand Up Paddle Board
                        Pelican 100

Comment

Originally posted by TimHVids View Post
                          But for me, a pickerel is like the fish of 1,000 casts lol.
                          As lucky as I have been finding their hiding spots, I have never actually caught one. It's magical. I'll be fishing with my 5yr old, then I hear "Dad, I'm snagged" or "Dad, my lines all tangled" where I then utter those magical words, "Here, hold my rod while I fix yours." 10 seconds later, bam, pickerel on. He probably has around 10 under his belt. His first pickerel was about 1/4in under the citation mark. Luckiest person I've ever been fishing with.
                          Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Originally posted by nhunter344 View Post
                            As lucky as I have been finding their hiding spots, I have never actually caught one. It's magical. I'll be fishing with my 5yr old, then I hear "Dad, I'm snagged" or "Dad, my lines all tangled" where I then utter those magical words, "Here, hold my rod while I fix yours." 10 seconds later, bam, pickerel on. He probably has around 10 under his belt. His first pickerel was about 1/4in under the citation mark. Luckiest person I've ever been fishing with.
                            WOW lol, how crazy is that? Care to ask him for any pointers? Hahaha

Did he reel them in himself? If you have helped him then you should get half credit for each 'assist'.

Stranger* "Have you caught a pickerel before?"
                            nhunter* "Well... yyeaaaa, kinda."
                            Last edited by TimHVids; 11-03-2017, 11:21 AM.
                            -TimH

Perception Striker

Comment

Did everything himself. I only had to step in when he went to put his hand in its mouth to take the hook out.
                              Jackson Cuda 12

Comment

Working...
                              X