Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kayak DIY Paint Job - Can it be done well and last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
    The guy painting his kayak from Wilderness is Wade Nichols

He repaints his every year and used to post it up on Kayak bass fishing, but that site got crashed. This dude is an artist when it comes to painting kayaks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22597[/ATTACH]
    Wow... he is an artist. Would love to know what his painting method is, but painting your yak twice a year? I guess if you have the time and creative juices...

smithmal
    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike View Post
      I’m allowing my kayak to develop a natural patina by washing it at most once a year. Bluefish scales have a natural iridescent quality that you’d pay big bucks for in paint. Dirt swirls into abstract patterns that give you a camouflage pattern the human hand can’t replicate. Don’t get me started on the nice speckled pattern that white perch leave behind as they evacuate to escape. Mother Nature creates a beautiful natural paint job and all you need to appreciate it is carefully curated neglect.
      Is that from Magatu's Derelicte collection? All kidding aside, have you factored in future hull repairs? I suppose that you could stripe the paint, effect repairs and then repaint. Just wondering your thoughts on this and how often you are thinking of repainting.
      Tight lines
      Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
      Hobie Caribbean Blue Sport
      Wilderness Red Tsunami 145
      Wilderness Green "Warhorse" Tarpon 160

Comment

Working...
      X