Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Kayak DIY Paint Job - Can it be done well and last?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sykesville, MD
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinfry View Post
    Thanks, there were alot of posts on there about painting kayaks camo style. I did note one poster who indicated the following:

    Remove rigging. Sand it with 200 grit thoroughly. Wash it with dish detergent soapy water. Rinse thoroughly. Let it dry 48 hours. Find "Adhesion Promoter" at auto parts store. Use it. Make stencils: leaves and reeds and such. Paint it, getting that little girl in the photo to help. Have fun!

    smithmal
    2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

    2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    lexington park
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Sounds like a lot of work...lol.

    Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    St Mary's County
    Posts
    833

    Default

    Iím allowing my kayak to develop a natural patina by washing it at most once a year. Bluefish scales have a natural iridescent quality that youíd pay big bucks for in paint. Dirt swirls into abstract patterns that give you a camouflage pattern the human hand canít replicate. Donít get me started on the nice speckled pattern that white perch leave behind as they evacuate to escape. Mother Nature creates a beautiful natural paint job and all you need to appreciate it is carefully curated neglect.
    Mike
    Pro Angler 14 "The Grand Wazoo"

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    lexington park
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    I’m allowing my kayak to develop a natural patina by washing it at most once a year. Bluefish scales have a natural iridescent quality that you’d pay big bucks for in paint. Dirt swirls into abstract patterns that give you a camouflage pattern the human hand can’t replicate. Don’t get me started on the nice speckled pattern that white perch leave behind as they evacuate to escape. Mother Nature creates a beautiful natural paint job and all you need to appreciate it is carefully curated neglect.
    I detailed mine with a Mattawoman Racing Stripe
    14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
    2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Fairplay, MD
    Posts
    606

    Default

    The guy painting his kayak from Wilderness is Wade Nichols

    He repaints his every year and used to post it up on Kayak bass fishing, but that site got crashed. This dude is an artist when it comes to painting kayaks.

    Wades ATAK140.jpg
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

    My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Sykesville, MD
    Posts
    124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by archeryrob View Post
    The guy painting his kayak from Wilderness is Wade Nichols

    He repaints his every year and used to post it up on Kayak bass fishing, but that site got crashed. This dude is an artist when it comes to painting kayaks.

    Wades ATAK140.jpg
    Wow... he is an artist. Would love to know what his painting method is, but painting your yak twice a year? I guess if you have the time and creative juices...

    smithmal
    2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

    2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

  7. #17
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
    I’m allowing my kayak to develop a natural patina by washing it at most once a year. Bluefish scales have a natural iridescent quality that you’d pay big bucks for in paint. Dirt swirls into abstract patterns that give you a camouflage pattern the human hand can’t replicate. Don’t get me started on the nice speckled pattern that white perch leave behind as they evacuate to escape. Mother Nature creates a beautiful natural paint job and all you need to appreciate it is carefully curated neglect.
    Is that from Magatu's Derelicte collection? All kidding aside, have you factored in future hull repairs? I suppose that you could stripe the paint, effect repairs and then repaint. Just wondering your thoughts on this and how often you are thinking of repainting.
    Tight lines
    Hobie Ivory Dune Outback
    Wilderness Red Tsunami 145

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •