SUP paddle for sight fishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SUP paddle for sight fishing.

Saw this on Facebook but no pictures. Is anyone using a SUP paddle for their pro angler or other stable kayaks? I think this is an awesome idea. Just trying to figure out where to keep rod holders and other accessories out of the way to paddle. How about a quick way to lay the paddle or clip to a holder and switch to a rod and reel without making much commotion?
    Any pics would be great as well or video.
    Tight lines
    Rich

The newer PA's have a paddle clip/holder in the rear storage area.

I also saw that post on FB - another interesting idea was using the shotgun holders to secure:

Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

So I was thinking if you could secure a clamp to the top of the vantage seat. That way you could easily put the paddle down securely and grab a rod afterwards.
      I just want to find a way to get everything out of the way to make the SUP paddle work? I think it makes total sense and a better option than a push pole. Saturday water clarity was unreal could easily see 5 feet Push pole isn’t working on that situation.

Comment

if the sup paddle has a thru-hole you could throw some foam on it and tether it to the yak, and then just toss it overboard once you have a fish on.

Comment

Thinking of using the paddle for sight fishing. Creep up on fish within eyesight and cast at them. More of a hunt than a trolling mission. I want to be silent and sneak into shallow spots and not disturb the water.

Comment

theres a video somewhere (from my vague memory) in Louisiana or Florida marshlands where this pro fisher swears fish can hear the mirage drive movement, and he swears by stand/slow paddling a pro angler to sight cast

Comment

I think it's hard to be completely silent even with slow deliberate paddle strokes. No doubt the fish sense we're near by the bow of the boat pushing water, however slight, and the rest of the hull blocking light.

Also I think we're apt to spook fish within normal casting distance by standing. No proof on that. Just anecdotal evidence.

I believe one of the advantages of kayak fishing is its relatively quiet approach and low profile. But if we stand, we may compromise our presence and at a minimum make fish more wary.
              Mark
              Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
              Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
              Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

I’ve gone sight fishing before on a poling flats skiff, with standing on the bow on a platform. With a guide on the poking platform in really skinny water, I know this guy was a pro but we are talking a way larger vessel that was in a foot of water over wary fish. Didn’t really spoke any unless you lined the fish.

Comment

Working...
                X