Drain Plug Kit - Best Option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drain Plug Kit - Best Option?

Need to install a drain plug in my Native U12. Native shockingly put one in the Native FX 12, but not the U12 (which seems totally illogical to me).

Most of the drain plugs I see on the net seems to be 1" in diameter. The FX 12 comes with a Super Seal Plug which seems more like 2" in diameter. I don't have a FX 12 so I'm not sure what the hole is like that the seal plug goes into otherwise I would go with just that.

In any event, there are dozens of drain plug kits on the internet. Any suggestions on which I should choose?

I searched through the forum, but it doesn't look like there's been a thread specifically discussing retrofitting a drain plug into a kayak.

Thanks,

smithmal
    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

The Ultimate does not come with a typical drain plug on the bow or stern. My recollection is that there are one or several small elongated slits under the gunwale on either side that serve the function of a drain plug. You can roll the boat on its side and the water will run out of the slits. You can see one of the slits if if look at a side view of the kayak at https://nativewatercraft.com/product/ultimate-12/. The visible slit is above the A in the Native placard.

My guide in Florida uses Ultimate 14.5 kayaks for his guiding business. He drilled a larger hole (~2") on the top front of the kayak next to the handle and leaves it unplugged. He can flip the boat upside down, lift the stern, and quickly drain out any accumulated water.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

I use the factory-installed side slits on my Ultimate 12 to drain it.

To be honest, mine takes on very little water during my trips. Most of what comes in is from my paddle. However, I rinse the boat after every outing with a garden hose, squirting it down thoroughly inside and out. The rinsing is where I accumulate the water. After rinsing, I just roll it onto its side and rock it back and forth a bit and the water runs to the center of the hull/sideboard and drains quickly.

As John mentioned, the 14.5s we've used with our guide in FL have a hole on the deck in the bow. There's no need to plug the hole since the entire hull is open within inches of the drain. Frankly, I find that bow drain more difficult to use than the factory-installed drain on the Ultimate 12. It's much easier to roll an Ultimate onto its side than to lift the stern so the water runs to the bow. Draining the Ultimate 14.5 is a 2 person job because of its added weight and the fact that the boat tries to pivot on the bow. The person in front holds the boat steady while the person in the back lifts. I can empty my Ultimate 12 easily by myself with the drains that Native provided.
      Last edited by Mark; 10-30-2017, 09:43 AM.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Thanks for everyone's reply.

I guess having an open drain hole makes sense due to the fact that the boat is open all the time anyway. I was that having a plug would make it more the yak look aesthetically pleasing though. I'm going to be getting an Old Town Twin Heron tandem yak which looks like it doesn't have a drain plug either. Has anyone retrofitted one on and had thoughts about which is the best? I was thinking about just getting this since they all look so similar.

smithmal
        smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
        Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Working...
        X