Delaware Pond Hop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delaware Pond Hop

I joined three members of the Free State Fly Fishers today on a Delaware Pond Hop.

Our intention was start the day at Trap Pond and then head to Records Pond after lunch. However, Trap’s boat ramp was closed for a Halloween event at the park. So, we went to Plan B, which we had to make up on the spot. We started at Records Pond in Laurel and ended up at Ingrams Pond in Millsboro.

It was a beautiful fall day to be pond fishing, albeit a bit windy as the hours progressed. However, we found protected shorelines in both ponds from the wind that was largely from the south.

Here are a few scenes of the fall foliage reflected in the water:

P1030178.jpg P1030179.jpg

Of course, we saw lots of geese.

They were overhead:

P1030185.jpg

And often in our way on the water.

P1030202.jpg

It was odd to see turtles active this late in the year:

P1030199.jpg

And now to the fishing. We each caught a variety of fish, however I caught nothing large. I personally caught the following 5 species:

P1030186.jpg P1030203.jpg P1030204.jpg

P1030205.jpg P1030209.jpg

Note that I caught a 16-inch pickerel to end the day but my camera battery failed.

I carried a 5 wt. and 6 wt. fly rod, each with floating line. I tried like the devil to get the fish to come up for a popper but they only halfheartedly swung at it. The water was cool in each pond – too cool for freshwater surface action, I think. Subsurface was the way to go with a very slow presentation. An olive size 6 wooly bugger with a black tail was my most productive fly. Often the fish hit it while it was motionless. I would twitch it a little and let it sit. I used the tip of the line as a strike indicator and when I saw the line move forward I lifted the rod to set the hook.

The only other fly that worked for me was an olive over white size 4 Clouser. That tricked two pickerels.

My last pick ended a nice day on two Delaware ponds. I likely won’t get back to the Eastern Shore until the weather is more in tune with the calendar – i.e., it will be cold! Today was a real bonus in terms of weather. And while the fish weren’t large, they gave us enough action to make the outing worthwhile.
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Sounds like you all had a great time!

Comment

Nice report Mark. I enjoy catching a variety of species.

Comment

Thanks guys.

We did have a good outing.

The ponds are a nice change of pace from tidal fishing and great for fly anglers.
        Mark
        Pasadena, MD

Comment

I love the wide variety of opportunity -We are surrounded and sometimes it's hard to decide what to do!
          Harlan

Revo 13
          Trident 13
          Cuda 14
          Necky Tandem

Comment

Harlan,

It's darned near impossible to make a bad choice.

We are very fortunate with many good Eastern Shore pond opportunities.
            Mark
            Pasadena, MD

Comment

Working...
            X