Thoughts on OT Twin Heron as a tandem/solo fishing yak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on OT Twin Heron as a tandem/solo fishing yak

I'm looking for a used tandem boat that will also work well in solo. Hoping to spend less than $500.

Someone is selling a 2016 Old Town Twin Heron for $400 with the typical scratches across hull but a bad divet in the centerline (see link here). Seller indicates this is an easy fix using a 2 part epoxy-resin repair kit. Do you agree?

There is very little in way of video reviews of this yak, but here's what I have found out:

First Introduced: 2013
    MSRP: $750
    Type: Sit In
    Length: 13'6"
    Width: 31.5"
    Weight: 60lbs
    Weight Capacity: 450 - 500lbs

I should still easily be able to car top this like I do with my U12 and it definitely seems stable and safe enough to bring the kids out on.
    Anyone ever tried out an OT Twin Heron and have thoughts about its usefulness as a good tandem/solo fishing yak? I thought I'd use it to occasional go out with the wife or kids or dogs but would also like the option to fish in it alone when desired.

Thanks for your reply.

smithmal
    smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Are you specifically looking for a sit in kayak? I wouldn’t recommend a kayak with divet in it. You can remove it sometime by leaving it hull side up and hope the heat will pop it back into shape. Also if it has any deep scratches (looked like it in the 1 photo) it would be bette to plastic weld it. With a sit on top it would be easier to rig. I have a Malibu 2xl from ocean kayak and I use it for the same purpose as a solo tandem. There usually are dealers and kayak rental places that will let these go at the end of the season for pretty cheap. I’ve seen them as low as 200 on craigslist. I wouldn’t get the Malibu 2, but opt for the xl. Just gives you some more space. Here are some photos of the rigging I did to mine.
    The only downside I’ve found is as a solo if the wind picks up over 10mph the kayak tends to want to spin on you while solo paddling. But we have had fun with it on vacation in Delaware...all the way to my solo trips on the Potomac river. And it’s pretty easy to car top. I believe it weight is around 68lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Desert Camo- Moken 14
    Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa...362444606.html
      Here is a option for $300. We use these every year when the family takes trips to ocean city/Delaware. I’ve never paddled one solo but it should be a great wide open platform like the Malibu 2xl. We find the tribe kayaks to sit a little higher out of the water and you end up with less “wet butt” also the keel aids in tracking.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
      Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Thanks for the link. The reason that I would prefer the OT Twin Heron is that it is a Sit In (for the wife/kids). Much more stable and harder to tip than a SOT. I also like it that it is specifically designed to be used solo if desired.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has ever been in one, and if so, what their opinion of it was.

Also, what is the best way to fix the damage to the centerline?

Thanks,

smithmal
        smithmal

Comment

Yeah that’s no problem, it’s a little hard to tell what is really going on with the photos but it looks like a little oil canning. Sometimes that can be fixed by just leaving the hull of the kayak up and let the suns heat pop it out. With the temps dropping you could use a hair dryer or heat gun and also apply pressure from the inside to form it back into shape. When heating up the boat you do have to be careful to not overheat the plastic and damage it. Now as far as the deep scratch the good news is the plastic is still there so with a cheap plastic welder you can just mold that back into place. Even with a heat gun you could heat up the area and then press it back down with a screwdriver. Now after all of that I will warn if the plastic has been scraped away to much on the hull it might be impossible to get the oil canning out.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
          Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

I am familiar with the heron and fishing a tandem solo. With a sit in you will find easier loading and better speed. If you are a fair weather Fisher, it will fish just fine. I don't believe you will have any better stability.....in fact I am sure of it. A sit on top tandem is an incredibly stable boat. I fished my OK malibu2 in very very rough and cold conditions....as several on this forum can attest.
            Anyway, offer $350 and contact John veil on here about plastic repair. You'll catch plenty of fish

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by kevinfry View Post
              I am familiar with the heron and fishing a tandem solo. With a sit in you will find easier loading and better speed. If you are a fair weather Fisher, it will fish just fine. I don't believe you will have any better stability.....in fact I am sure of it. A sit on top tandem is an incredibly stable boat. I fished my OK malibu2 in very very rough and cold conditions....as several on this forum can attest.
              Anyway, offer $350 and contact John veil on here about plastic repair. You'll catch plenty of fish

Kevin - Thanks for the plug, but I have no skill or experience for plastic repair other than slapping some Goop on a small hole. You must be thinking of someone else.
              John Veil
              Annapolis
              Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                Kevin - Thanks for the plug, but I have no skill or experience for plastic repair other than slapping some Goop on a small hole. You must be thinking of someone else.
                I thought you repaired your mantaray way back......and don't you know everything?

Comment

I apologize John...I went back in the archives and found the posts I remembered...you were recommending goop repairs and it was your old drifter you referred to. I remember that because I was patching minor leaks in my tandem....I ended up using goop for one hole and tearaid for the other. So I obviously took your advice. My plan was to see which performed better.....both are still working...guess this will be a long experiment.

Again, sorry for taking your name in vain!

Comment

No problem Kevin.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis
                    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Well, I pulled the trigger and got it so I'll reply back with a decent review on it from a tandem and solo fishing perspective.

smithmal
                      smithmal

Comment

Originally posted by smithmal View Post
                        Well, I pulled the trigger and got it so I'll reply back with a decent review on it from a tandem and solo fishing perspective.

smithmal
                        Yeah let me know how it works out. I have a plastic welder and a heat gun if needed. I’m no pro but I have done a few repairs on some kayaks.

Desert Camo- Moken 14
                        Tan- Tarpon 140

Comment

Working...
                        X