Bixby Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bixby Motor

I posted this a few days ago, but I was using my phone and accidentally put it in the "General" forum which I don't think sees much traffic. Either that or no one has anything to say and if that's the case carry on . I came across this the other day and thought it looked interesting. Seems like you should be able to get torqueedo like performance at a significant discount. $999 for the system with battery for rudder installation and only $100 more for a system with various mounting kits.

https://bixpy.com/bixpy-kayak-jet/

2015 Viking Profish Reload

I saw the OP somewhere on this site and forgot to reply.

I checked the site, and with a PA14 the battery life would only get me 3-3.5 hours run time. I think that may be the reason the Torqueedo has so much success for a whole day charge. Then again, i'm assuming you could always buy a second Bixby battery if indeed they are quick swappable?
    Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
      I saw the OP somewhere on this site and forgot to reply.

I checked the site, and with a PA14 the battery life would only get me 3-3.5 hours run time. I think that may be the reason the Torqueedo has so much success for a whole day charge. Then again, i'm assuming you could always buy a second Bixby battery if indeed they are quick swappable?
      Could be worth checking again. Run time of Bixpy is 7 hours at 2 mph. I recall that torqeedo specs are about the same for a Proangler? I usually troll around 2.5 so thats why I'm thinking about the Bixby. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Seems like the battery is easy to swap and the extra is $500. So you could get it and still be less than a torqueedo. But like mentioned above on low speed you should get a full day. If I ever got one it would be to supplement my paddling so I don't think I'd use it above low very often.

Comment

Please ........ someone try this engine ........ I've seen a lot of hype but no real usage reports. It would be great if it is true but there has been hype on others that didn't play out.

Comment

Originally posted by Memory Maker View Post
            Please ........ someone try this engine ........ I've seen a lot of hype but no real usage reports. It would be great if it is true but there has been hype on others that didn't play out.
            Supposedly the owner of Viking kayaks has been using one and insists that it's the best electric motor he's used. But that could be marketing too.

Comment

Yep looks cool, but all of the videos etc. are being shown on nice calm days with no wind or current using unloaded kayaks. I would really like to see it's capabilites are in Winds and currents using a fully outfitted kayak, which is why I motorized mine. What I question is whats the thrust and how well that small prop will handle that.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldbayrunner View Post
                Yep looks cool, but all of the videos etc. are being shown on nice calm days with no wind or current using unloaded kayaks. I would really like to see it's capabilites are in Winds and currents using a fully outfitted kayak, which is why I motorized mine. What I question is whats the thrust and how well that small prop will handle that.

Here's a vid of the OP adding this onto a Native Titan:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZw3ZYXWrnw

smithmal
                smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
                Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Here again, not any kind of conditions I was talking about. Put that in 30mph headwinds, against an out going chop, with 1-3ft chop like we encountered all of a sudden last year coming back at Rosehaven approx. 2 miles from the launch. Heck put it in 15mph winds against a current and show it. Yesterday Conowingo was running 7 small and 4 large generators along with spill gates which was over 80,000cfm and my motor pulled 1.3 mph against it at 75-80% controller usage. That's what I would like to see, how this would handle it. I'm not knocking it. I think it's cool but I have doubts whether it would do what my motor will handle. I'd love to save a little more weight.

Comment

I believe three Snaggedline members bought this motor and will be making YouTube videos on how it performs in common kayaking conditions as compared to the Torqeedo, that a lot of kayakers buy. I do not use an electric motor on my kayak, however, I do use a Minn Kota 55 pound thrust electric trolling motor on my canoe when crabbing, since I may have two adults and all of the crabbing gear and batteries on board.
                    MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                    2016 Hobie Outback LE
                    Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                    https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

It'll be interesting to see Moc... I know you know what I'm talking about since you were one of the ones there with me for the conditions I am talking about. Oyster bay I didn't mention, that current was plain crazy.

Comment

And crabbing with two people and all that gear needs a strong motor too on my canoe....
                        MOC a.k.a. "Machburner the Crab Whisperer"
                        2016 Hobie Outback LE
                        Kayak Crabbing since 2011 and Snaggedline member since 2009
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/machburner

Comment

Working...
                        X