Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drop Shot - How's it working for you?

Thanks for the continued excellent posts. This thread is a good example of why this fishing forum is great.

Thanks for the awesome info Drew! BTW, I saw a video recently in which the OP uses two o-rings when wacky rigging and crosses them over on the lure. He then puts the hook through the cross which really makes it almost impossible for the fish to rip the lure off the hook. This is what I'm doing when I wacky rig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-oO-86RNao

smithmal
    2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
    Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

Gonna be out dragging the ned rig this weekend and probably giving the drop shot a try. Water temp in my local river is down to 45 from 60 only 2 weeks ago. Anyone have any dropshot tips for this cold water? Gonna be fishing a shallow, rocky smallmouth river no deeper than 10 feet anywhere. My plan is to just go as light and slow as possible in the deepest pools with smaller baits. Any recommendations for baits that get bit in colder water would be appreciated.
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by bunnielab View Post
    For 6" Robos, I almost always use the Finesse Cover hooks and t-rig it. The point on them is very fine and sharp, so I don't feel like my hook-ups suffer and it makes the entire presentation surprisingly weedless. I still don't fish it right in cover due to the light line, but for grass and bottoms covered in fallen branches it really helps with snags.

For the rotating cast of 3-4" plastics, I nose hook them, but with the hook point buried in the plastic, like the second lure down in this picture.
    Attachment 22568
    It makes most plastics a one-fish deal, but it works for a wide range of stuff and still keeps the hook from catching on tiny branches or leaves. I use the Owner G-finesse hooks for this as again, they have a very thin and sharp point so the plastic almost always is able to clear the point.

I have never really messed around with wacky rigging drop shot plastics, but am going to try it more this coming season. I think when I do I might give circle hooks a try. I debarb all of my DS hooks as even with getting most of my hits on the move, bass still seem to inhale the lure. I have gotten pretty good at the behind-the-gills hook removal, but I feel like I would fish a wacky rigged plastic even slower and would prefer the more reliable lip hooking of a circle.

My other big idea is to take some 2-4" zonker strips and tie them too Standout Hooks, making dropshot flys. I have had some luck just piercing the fur with the hook, but it spins around a ton and causes awful line-twist. The panfish went nuts over it though, rarely could I complete a retrieve without a tiny one grabbing the end and running my lure all over the water.
    Drew, this is one of my favorite threads on Snaggedline. When I'm not fly fishing in 2018, I plan to give drop shotting some serious attention. I am also intrigued by your quote above. The idea of wrapping some zonker strips to circle hooks is very interesting to me and possibly a genius idea. I have some of those spin-shot drop shot type hooks that allow the hook to spin and reduce line twist. I will give this a try and report back to you.

I'm looking forward to spring 2018 and some warmer water.

Hah, wow, that is way more elaborate than I was thinking. I was going to try and tie some up today, but my zonkers have gone missing. I suspect I put them somewhere "safe" so I would not lose them.
    Drew

Yellow Pompano 12
    Lime Slayer 10