Dry suit questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry suit questions

Has anyone gone from a non-goretex suit to goretex? What are the main benefits from your experience? I am looking at the Kokatat Tropos Supernova and am wondering what I'd be missing out on by not going with the Kokatat goretex Supernova. There is about a $270 difference between the two and if the only big advantage is slightly enhanced breathability I'm gonna have to go with the cheaper option.
    Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

I can't say about going from a non to one. But I recently have gone from having a Gortex to a non. Gortex is the premier waterproof material and wears better than anything else. The fabric isn't the problem unless one had gone to a super cheap material. It's the gaskets, they wear out faster than the material will, normally unless one is extremely difficult on their suit. The gaskets over time through sun exposure etc. will give out facilitating the need for patching and eventually replacement. How long until that happens depends on the care one provides through the use of protective products. One can do that themselves or have it done, usually at a price somewhere between $100 -$150.00 something to do it themselves or over $200 to have it done.

Now there is no way I wouldn't say to not get a gortex suit but for me I wont go the expense again. My new suit I consider the quality to be very good. It is lighter, not as stiff and I am finding more comfortable then my Gortex suit was. will it last as long? Time will tell. In the mean time I will enjoy it. I will say this in my 50 some odd years I have used wet and dry suits during my surfing life sometimes the more expensive brand name didn't hold up as well as the better made lesser known one did. That isn't to say that is the case with either Kokatec or Stholquist. I just know based on my recently replacing one I don't want to spend a lot of money on one again. I figure after receiving the one I bought I will more then get my $479.00 use out of it and be happy. This may or may not help your decision...lol

Comment

Thanks OldBay and others who reached out in PMs. I ordered the Kokatat Supernova Tropos suit and I intend to really put it through its paces this fall. I had a pretty spectacularly bad surf landing this past weekend which is what got me started on this. Thankfully air and water temps were still in the high 60s. For as much as I fish in cold temps and now that the weather and water temps are dropping and the fishing is just starting to get good, I feel like its definitely time to move to a full suit instead of my current dry top/pants setup.
      Hobie Revo 13 carribean blue

My YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
      X