X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search suppended for missing Baltimore kayak fisherman on ESVA

Very sad news to report

http://www.delmarvanow.com/story/new...ast/787257001/

Yea, the Coast Guard kept announcing a missing person over the radio Friday night when I was out on the water.

The story is odd though. 3 people, 2 kayaks, camping on an island where the 2 of the 3 people last see the person the night before he is reported missing the following afternoon?

Sad nonetheless.
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slobber Bob View Post
      Yea, the Coast Guard kept announcing a missing person over the radio Friday night when I was out on the water.

The story is odd though. 3 people, 2 kayaks, camping on an island where the 2 of the 3 people last see the person the night before he is reported missing the following afternoon?

Sad nonetheless.
      Know what you are saying, Brian. I was told about the incident by the head of one of the organizations involved in the search. Apparently the man decided to go out in Quimby Inlet to fish doing the night on his own. The searchers felt there was a pretty good chance he was not even wearing a PFD. He became separated from his kayak (which was recovered), but not sure why the delay in reporting to authorities. Your are pretty familiar with the area down there, do they have cell coverage on Parrimore Island?

Comment

isnt that area a little sharky?
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

That makes more sense. The details in the news article were very general. Thoughts go out to the family.

Cell service is pretty good out on all the islands with Verizon. In fact, it's better on Parramore Island than Wachapreague most of the time for however that is possible. I was actually supposed to go out there for work this coming week and a half but it was cancelled for an unrelated reason. Hopefully he is eventually found.
          Brian

Comment

Never good news to hear of a kayaker incident like this one. One has to stop and think how really important it is to wear a PFD and how a vfh radio attached could more than likely save a persons life.

Comment

Working...
            X