CHSP Tautog, Oct 18, 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHSP Tautog, Oct 18, 2017

Someone had to fish first to report tog (tautog/blackfish) fishing at the walls off CHSP (Cape Henlopen State Park, DE). The water temp was still 65 F when I prepared the day before (Oct 17). I like 62 F and below in fall at the Inner Wall (There are two walls). But Oct 18 was the only day I could fish the walls this fall.

As I expected I caught many small togs (about 20). I caught 5 conger eel and 10 oyster toadfish. I lost about 15 rigs.
    Somehow I ran out of hooks that day. Running out of sinkers happened before, but I never ran out of hooks.

The day ended with 1 keeper at 15 1/4".

The water temp hasn't dropped yet. It is still 64 F today, Oct 21. But keeper togs will be ready for your baits.
    Good Luck!

Fishing Log:

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-21-2017, 08:01 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

You sure caught a lot of fish. And I think you're right. Water should be about 10 deg cooler for best tog activity. Hope to get out there soon. Thanks for the report.
    2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
    2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Wee need a good cold front moves in for togs. CBBT water temp (currently 69 F) is usually higher than that of CHSP by 3-4 F.
      I was confused about the water temp and the dates on the previous good tog fishing days. I double checked water temp on my good tog fishing days in fall in the past at CHSP. Regardless the date, the water temp was 56-60 F.

On the other hand, at CBBT, the water temp was 42 F - 65 F. The best water temp was 47- 59 F

But the water temps are surface water temps that are influenced by the air temp/the wind/Sun . I don't know the actual water temps on the bottoms (19'-45' at CBBT & 6'-50' at CHSP). I use my gut feeling when I picked the depth of the water.

Joe
      Last edited by ComeOnFish; 10-22-2017, 07:44 AM.
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Based on some thermocline models found on the internet, it looks like we can expect a drop of a few degrees. So, for depths to 40-50', it looks like the drop is about 3-6 deg F from the surface temp.
        2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
        2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Working...
        X