Mythic Taruba review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mythic Taruba review

After my gaskets finally bit the dust on my Stohlquist, I gave it away to a member when I got a new Mythic Taruba drysuit. I had been eyeballing these for over a year so this was the perfect time to buy. Yesterday was cold enough in the Am for me to give it a try.

The Taruba is made of light weight waterproof breathable nylon so it is lighter than my gortex suit.
    The seams are well put together and sealed.
    The chest and relief zippers are made of water sealed nylon instead of the brass style on my old suit. I find them to be easier to zip and hopefully need less maintenance as I had these before with surfing suits.
    The neck and sleeve gaskets are quality Latex and on this suit both have sleeve and neck covering to protect them from sun exposure. Also they provide extra warmth from wind I find.
    The main difference is the bootie. Instead of a latex gasket the booties are part of the main body made of nylon. I like this as I find they are easier to get on and off. The downside is if putting on an NRS type kayak bootie there is a lot of play so they aren't as forgiving or comfortable in the toe area as the latex with bare feet underneath. Wearing sox makes it more comfortable. If one is using looser boots or sandal type then it shouldn't be a factor

For my height at 6'4" I got the XXL. It was easier to put on then my old XL and gave me plenty of room for additional warm clothing underneath and is extremely comfortable. I vacillated on getting the Sobek @ $399.00 but without having the neck and wrist covering like my old suit I felt I wouldn't be as happy. So all in all for a $479.00 purchase I find this suit to be more than adequate for my needs through the coming winter months for a long while. It only comes in red, I would have preferred a different color selection bit at least I will be seen on the water that's for sure.
Working...
X